NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow....that's a lot to deal with.

Have you tried anything scented with lavender to help DD go to sleep? I've even used it with DH, and had good luck, lol. He's just like a big kid - wants to stay up all night watching tv....geeze.

If you don't want to incubate those turkey eggs have you thought about trying to sell 'em? I have sold hatching eggs (chickens) for $30 a dozen! I can only imagine that turkey eggs are probably worth a lot more. Just a thought.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is like that too, drives me nuts! Lol but no I haven't tried the lavender. More of a reason for me to get my lotion making supplies ordered, I do have some lavender essential oil I bought for soapmaking but haven't used yet... Hmm...

True, I could sell eggs. I don't want to ship them though, since hatch rates tend to be poor in incubators in general, never mind with shipping. I don't want the headache! But I suppose I could, just would have to sell a half dozen or so at a time since there's only one hen laying. She does lay nearly every day though! I like her a lot, she will talk to us. Generally these chocolates seem friendlier and calmer than our others have been.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I bought shipped eggs a few times, and never yielded much to be honest. Not worth the hassle. I always had good luck, locally.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I've never tried shipped eggs. But local for me can be an issue. Kind of live in the middle of nowhere as far as farm country. Everyone has chickens, hardly anyone has turkeys but no one has the breeds I'm interested in.

I've got broodies now and some of the breeds in the brooder are good broody breeds so I hope to have them doing all the work next year.

Not looking forward to 90 degree weather today!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My rooster just attacked my daughter again. I had nothing to retaliate with except the grain scoops so I threw them at him (dumping a bunch of grain in the process), and then found a stick to chase him off with. So I just texted my husband and told him he needs to go. My husband had said he was going to catch him and put him in a pen every morning but hasn't been doing that (obviously).

I love my husband and I hate husband-bashing but since this is a place full of friends I will say he's pushing it with me when it comes to this stupid rooster!
:rant

Oh and yes, I chase him around with a stick every single day. I have tried every single training trick with him. I believe they work. But not with this guy. I'm done.

Sorry for the venting but:barnie

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could "accidentally" throw an axe in his direction and his head could accidentally fall off? There are lots of roosters in the world - no reason to put up with a dangerous one. Hope your DH can come to see things your way!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's never gone after DD when DH is here, or I think he would have been gone long ago. I usually win out in the end... Hey I bought him turkeys for Christmas even though I didn't want turkeys at all. So bye bye roo. Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow so I was just reading more info on fertility (yeah I'm that exciting) and what I read said something I was pleasantly surprised to read in a mainstream publication. It said to avoid processed and fried foods as well as- low fat dairy products. Thank you! No one ever touts full fat dairy products, and they should! Now I need some goat milk.... Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes you do! If we were closer.... I've got more than I can use. I need to call my friend down the street and see fi she needs some. She gave me homemade tortillas last year in exchange, but I need to tell her that I need something a little less carb-y!