NH Homesteader's journal

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
good for youall! a new barn and all free. can't beat that deal with a stick.
I don't know if you remember me talking about crossing my dark Cornish chickens with my rir to make a better meat bird but I've got 3 cross roos that I am going to butcher in the next couple of weeks and i'll let you know how they turn out.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i'm really pleased with the ones I got. ordered them from murrymcmurry a couple of years ago. they lay good, are great mamas and do a good job of fending for themselves free ranging. the roo is even tempered and is polite to me and protective of his ladys. crazy person that I am have been looking at bb chicks to order for fall. do I need more chickens, no but do I want more chickens, yes. will be interesting to see which me wins this one.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh please do! Our cornishes are getting big. Aggressive though, we keep them segregated because they were beating up our gentler breeds! They will never free range. They're too feisty for me, they're DH's birds! Not human aggressive, I am just more comfortable with my calm quiet breeds. Ours are from Murray McMurray also. Beautiful birds. I need to get pics.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We got some dark cornish (and buff rock) from Murray McMurray too. OMG, they're agressive! Make a beautiful carcass though! We took the dark cornish rooster out of the flock and the hens are much more calm now. That darn rooster attacks the side of the pen when I walk by! We have a cornish/rock F1 hybrid rooster that is much more calm and a couple dozen f1 and f2 hybrid chicks growing out. I think that last dark cornish rooster is going in the crockpot. Nasty bugger!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:celebrate On the barn walls, wood, materials!!! Won't be long now before you have a barn.

Like others, mine has dirt floors. My barn is built with a concrete foundation & block on that, like a house, then the framing. So the dirt floors stay dry from outside rains.

My run-ins do not have that foundation and the treated wood at ground has lasted about 12 yrs, average. I've had to replace the horizontal board in a few places on a couple of them. No biggie expense wise. Careful placement when putting them up is secret to much of the initial wet issues. Animals in & out can create little paths that water runs along. Those have to be addressed.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What everyone else said about the turkeys, that is crazy! It's a lovely gift… Some people smh

Woot on the barn!!! I love the red walls. Can't wait to see it put up :pop

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I want chickens again but it is just not feasible right now. Cornish would be one of my choices for breeds because I know I will never get my Delawares back and I won't settle on inferior birds. I sure do miss them...