Nourishing Traditions

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
I'm off to a slow start on this, but I finally went down to the raw milk seller and picked up a gallon. There is now a jar of whey-to-be in my cupboard so I can start using it to ferment things. I think I'm going to start with the ginger carrots.

Question -- if I have the milk at room temperature to separate, does it matter if the lid is snug (should it be loose to allow pressure out)?

I find the fermentation issue really interesting. I suffer from digestive problems (IBS?) that are better some times and worse other times, and I have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. I read the discussion in the book about fermented foods, and it made me wonder whether eating more fermented foods could help balance out some of my digestive issues. Anyone have thoughts on this or experiences with these foods affecting digestion? Thanks.
Ferments will help, but, that said, I would go gluten free asap, as that is more then likely your causer.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Ferments will help, but, that said, I would go gluten free asap, as that is more then likely your causer.
Thanks, Bubblingbrooks and Occamstazer.

Regarding the kombucha, I will have to figure out how to make that. I could have bought it from the dairy yesterday (they had it on sale in single-serving bottles) but I think I can make it at home. I'm sure there's a thread around here about it! :)

As for the gluten, my initial thought was to dismiss the suggestion -- I have done a gluten elimination diet before without success. But you got me thinking, BB, and I did a little research. I don't have the traditional symptoms of gluten intolerance, but I have some "less common" ones -- and I have had them my entire life. When I eliminated gluten before, I didn't do it anywhere close to long enough (I read yesterday that you should go 60-90 days to be sure), and I wasn't careful about "hidden" gluten in things like salad dressing and soy sauce. Hmmm....

I'm off to look at some of the gluten and kombucha threads.....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

Regarding the kombucha, I will have to figure out how to make that. I could have bought it from the dairy yesterday (they had it on sale in single-serving bottles) but I think I can make it at home. I'm sure there's a thread around here about it! :)

As for the gluten, my initial thought was to dismiss the suggestion -- I have done a gluten elimination diet before without success. But you got me thinking, BB, and I did a little research. I don't have the traditional symptoms of gluten intolerance, but I have some "less common" ones -- and I have had them my entire life. When I eliminated gluten before, I didn't do it anywhere close to long enough (I read yesterday that you should go 60-90 days to be sure), and I wasn't careful about "hidden" gluten in things like salad dressing and soy sauce. Hmmm....

It can't hurt to skip the gluten and see. The hard (and frustrating part...IMO) is when you try to replace things that you love with GF versions...bread, pancakes etc. I would just eliminate those foods, there are plenty of other things to eat, if you can get your head in that place.

DH and I have been going round and round about gluten. He suffers from reflux and I am confident that it is related, but he likes to be contrary :rolleyes:

We were just talking about it yesterday. Since he jumped on board with my dietary changes, he says his reflux has dramatically improved. He stopped taking prilosec and only occasionally uses rolaids (which I am trying to eliminate). I have read that it can also be improved with a very low carb diet....so we are going to play with that one a bit.

I hope you find your solution....it is no fun living with these issues!

Edited to add....it does take a few weeks to get a batch of Kombucha brewed....in the mean time you could try some store bought.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

My symptoms are not what you would call "traditional" either, but oh boy! If I get "glutened"! Its bad!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
BB can I ask you a question?

DH and I do't each much 'obvious gluten' no pasta, bread or cracker-y type foods on a daily basis. Once in a while he will have rye bread.

So Friday he ate Kefir smoothie for breakfast, large salad at lunch, roasted chicken, baked potato w butter and roasted cauliflower for dinner.

After dinner he had an out of character hot fudge sundae binge....ice cream, hot fudge & nuts.

Sat he had kefir smoothie and we were out running errands to we had fast food. He had an In n Out burger on a bun and a few french fries.

Within 30-40 minutes he was in the bathroom with diarrhea, and again at 45-60 mins. He says it was like water from a hose.

What did he eat that would have caused that? It does not happen to him often anymore but it used to be a fairly common occurrence.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
BB can I ask you a question?

DH and I do't each much 'obvious gluten' no pasta, bread or cracker-y type foods on a daily basis. Once in a while he will have rye bread.

So Friday he ate Kefir smoothie for breakfast, large salad at lunch, roasted chicken, baked potato w butter and roasted cauliflower for dinner.

After dinner he had an out of character hot fudge sundae binge....ice cream, hot fudge & nuts.

Sat he had kefir smoothie and we were out running errands to we had fast food. He had an In n Out burger on a bun and a few french fries.

Within 30-40 minutes he was in the bathroom with diarrhea, and again at 45-60 mins. He says it was like water from a hose.

What did he eat that would have caused that? It does not happen to him often anymore but it used to be a fairly common occurrence.
Its the bun. Gluten. Not even a question.
And since he had a reaction that fast, he needs to get off of it asap, and start some hard and serious work on his gut health.
It takes a full year for gluten to fully clear from the body, so be aware of that.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking but I couldn't imagine that fast of a reaction.
I think it is confusing to both of us because he can eat gluten and NOT have that reaction....I guess it really depends on what you are eating.

Thank you for your input!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My roommate freshman year had celiac. She only found out about it that year. During her "recovery" period, if she ate gluten she would be suffering (vomiting, diarrhea, etc) within the hour. When your intestines are really damaged, it hits you faster and harder than when you're "recovered". Now, she's been of gluten a few years. Sometimes there will be some in things she has (dressing, etc) and she frequently doesn't react at all. It all depends on what level of health you're coming from. Sounds to me like your husband reacted really strongly to the gluten, saying to me he is in desperate need of repairing that, or isn't used to the vegetable oil type grease? I know that can happen to um... certain people. The second is a quick fix though- just avoid fast foods like that!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For me, it would've been the hot fudge sundae. I react strongly, suddenly, and severely about a day later when I eat anything with store-bought milk and no live cultures.

Latest posts