Nourishing Traditions

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh one more thing....BIL is totally impressed with my weight loss. He and his wife just started going back to the gym...and are trying to get a bit fitter.

He mentioned low fat and I boldly told them both that fat isn't what makes you fat. He insisted that it is. Then I told him that 55% of my calories come from fat :D they both looked at me like I had sprouted another head....then I said, "butter, cheese, nuts, avocado, olive oil, beef etc. Naturally occurring saturated fats" then I just grinned as they had nothing to say. (of course there is also loads of veg in there too!)

At some point I will convert them....but he has his 'healthy ways' pretty en-grained. He has always been a bit of a health nut.....he just didn't know that it was destroying his health. Someday he will figure that one out. I'd like to save SIL from a lifetime of meds....she is the one I need to get thru to.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Keep doing what you are doing and remember that the charts and graphs that are used to determine when to medicate for high blood pressure are like the ones for cholesterol levels.....not necessarily connected to health. I'm talking the lower numbers, not way off the charts, though.
DH's numbers are good but he is at the very bottom of the 'pre HBP' range. I want to say 160/70something. Mine is like 99/63.

I just do not want that burden for my Hubby! I want to be sure that we do all we can to prevent it.

Edited to correct: his is not that high...I think it was 140/70 something.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is he "good" with his eating habits? Mine isn't....he eats great at home, but buys stuff when he goes out. I take what I can get.... :/ Eating the great food helps a lot, and he is much healthier than he used to be, in spite of the cheats.

Supplementation can help, too. I do believe that we can get all we need from our food, IN THEORY. Reality is, that is almost impossible. Most of us already damaged our bodies, plus we are exposed to more toxins than ever in today's world.

So things that improve blood flow can help with the bp a bit. The blood gets "sludgy" (from the Latin "sludgicus :D ) and the flow, especially in the capillaries, is no longer efficient. That can be addressed through diet and supplementation. This also helps with energy and healing in general, as the blood is what feeds and flushes wastes from all our cells, and this exchange takes place at the capillary level.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just took my blood pressure at the store yesterday. I told hubby it was probably going to be high because he was driving me crazy. It was actually 113/70...and that is under stress :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A lot of hype and drama.

Know how your pig is raised and eat your bacon without fear.

How many people who are following the biblical ban on pork are wearing mixed fibers and eat shrimp? How many stoned their kid the first time they talked back? That is in Leviticus too....Just sayin'....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The laws on pork were given to the Jews, and Jesus and the early disciples were Jews and followed those laws. The laws were done away with at Christ's death. This caused some issues in the first century as the newly formed Christian congregation struggled to get rid of things they were brought up with from infancy, and to sort out what laws Christians were now under. Acts 11:5-10 contains a vision given to Peter where he was instructed three times to slaughter and eat creatures that were considered unclean under Jewish law. Peter reacted in disgust, and was told not to be calling unclean what God had made clean. Although it was also to illustrate that the disciples were to now take the gospel to the Gentile nations, Peter and other early Christians started eating all kinds of animals. The law against eating blood or things strangled was reiterated to the early Christians.

The disgusting conditions and cruelty in which the big commercial operations produce animal products are the reason why we are working towards growing more of our own meats, and will be getting pigs in June.

Chickens also eat all the things described in that article that pigs eat that are disgusting. I saw my hens arguing over a dead mouse this morning, and they will also eat each other! Ewww!

Still love ya, though! :hugs Just don't fully agree on this one point....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Hey, hey! I know all that! Its just good info that can be good for passing on to the skeptic :lol:
Because pigs do not sweat, and I don't think anyone can argue that, one should be careful, and be certain its pastured fully.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm off to a slow start on this, but I finally went down to the raw milk seller and picked up a gallon. There is now a jar of whey-to-be in my cupboard so I can start using it to ferment things. I think I'm going to start with the ginger carrots.

Question -- if I have the milk at room temperature to separate, does it matter if the lid is snug (should it be loose to allow pressure out)?

I find the fermentation issue really interesting. I suffer from digestive problems (IBS?) that are better some times and worse other times, and I have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. I read the discussion in the book about fermented foods, and it made me wonder whether eating more fermented foods could help balance out some of my digestive issues. Anyone have thoughts on this or experiences with these foods affecting digestion? Thanks.