Obama finally called them out

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
to me it is not a government takeover.
I guess we see it different.
to me it is govt. help and laws to control ins. companies etc.

if it were a takeover than we would have universal care tomorrow...no choice point blank. that is a takeover to me.

govt helping is not always bad. in monster situations it is required.

the food. sure we need those changes but food is not always WHY people need medical care at ALL. you know genetic problems, immunity problems, accidents, etc. are bigger causes of health care problems when we add them up over food related causes. Sure both are horrible, but just eating right does not ever mean you don't need medical care.
That statement doesn't work for me to warrant not changing the healthcare system radically.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
if it were a takeover than we would have universal care tomorrow...no choice point blank.
That is EXACTLY what they tried to do. Remember the original August "deadline"?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Blue Skys said:
Sure it takes radical change, which could mean, stop spraying our food with poison, stop pumping us full of antibiotics through meat, stop using chemicals to over process food (which are all approved by the government), tell people macdonalds is bad for them.....
Hey--that's something I could get on board for!! But, I have a feeling people would feel the government was legislating lifestyles then.

What seems more reasonable is to put tax $ into bike and walking paths, stop subsidies for crap food, completely revamp the food pyramid and get some actual food in the school lunch program. But, that a whole 'nother story.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
the food. sure we need those changes but food is not always WHY people need medical care at ALL. you know genetic problems, immunity problems, accidents, etc. are bigger causes of health care problems when we add them up over food related causes. Sure both are horrible, but just eating right does not ever mean you don't need medical care.
That statement doesn't work for me to warrant not changing the healthcare system radically.
Eating right may not mean you never need medical care, but what is the biggest health issue in America? Obesity. Where does obesity stem from? Terrible diets. Obesity is not just being overweight, it often times includes diabetes, cardiovascular problems, and all sorts of other medical issues, that I don't see how you can honestly say, with no statistical proof that accidents, and genetic problems are a greater strain on medical resources. Eating right would really lighten the load. (pun intended :) )

Also, the chemicals in cleaners that are used in every grocery store, office building, food preperation factory and home are causing genetic defects and hormone changes in fish, what do you think they are doing to our bodies?

The government lets it happen. If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say they do that intentionally so that there is more of a need for health care and the people of this country would be more in support of government takeover.

But, alas, I am just a realist, not a conspiracy theorist, so I say folks just don't care enough to do anything. It's easier just to implement more taxes and give the people what they think they want.

edited to say that these are changes that would sustain and make the country healthier. Just giving them the doctor will not make them healthy, that would be instant gratification (the reference I made earlier).

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Blue Skys said:
Sure it takes radical change, which could mean, stop spraying our food with poison, stop pumping us full of antibiotics through meat, stop using chemicals to over process food (which are all approved by the government), tell people macdonalds is bad for them.....
Hey--that's something I could get on board for!! But, I have a feeling people would feel the government was legislating lifestyles then.

What seems more reasonable is to put tax $ into bike and walking paths, stop subsidies for crap food, completely revamp the food pyramid and get some actual food in the school lunch program. But, that a whole 'nother story.
Great ideas!!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Yes, I would agree that lifestyle contributes most enormously (pun intended :D) to health issues. When I was still in health education, about 10 years ago, the top 3 causes of death were directly linked to lifestyle--diet, smoking, exercise. Don't know where it stands today, but I doubt it has changed much.

I would adamantly disagree with conspiracy theories. Every nation that becomes developed starts to eat this way and develop the same problems. Even China and India are starting to have these issues. If you have more $, you tend to spend it on things, habits and lifestyles that are not that healthy for you. You tend to walk or bike less if you have a car. And so on.

Back when I was in health education, I faced the frustration constantly of our healthcare being *treatment* based rather than *prevention* based. Let me say this: Many doctors at my clinic really TRY to get people to make better choices. People don't want to, most of them. It is easier to ask a doctor to fix your problems than do the hard work of preventing them. I think it's just a national attitude problem.

Really, I see it in many things: Defense and war rather than diplomacy and peacemaking, desperate "fixes" for the climate rather than being reasonable about energy usage ahead of time, after-the-fact, IMO ridiculous security measures rather than reasonable measures before a disaster. We seem to be a reactive society rather than a preventive one.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Yes, I would agree that lifestyle contributes most enormously (pun intended :D) to health issues. When I was still in health education, about 10 years ago, the top 3 causes of death were directly linked to lifestyle--diet, smoking, exercise. Don't know where it stands today, but I doubt it has changed much.

I would adamantly disagree with conspiracy theories. Every nation that becomes developed starts to eat this way and develop the same problems. Even China and India are starting to have these issues. If you have more $, you tend to spend it on things, habits and lifestyles that are not that healthy for you. You tend to walk or bike less if you have a car. And so on.

Back when I was in health education, I faced the frustration constantly of our healthcare being *treatment* based rather than *prevention* based. Let me say this: Many doctors at my clinic really TRY to get people to make better choices. People don't want to, most of them. It is easier to ask a doctor to fix your problems than do the hard work of preventing them. I think it's just a national attitude problem.

Really, I see it in many things: Defense and war rather than diplomacy and peacemaking, desperate "fixes" for the climate rather than being reasonable about energy usage ahead of time, after-the-fact, IMO ridiculous security measures rather than reasonable measures before a disaster. We seem to be a reactive society rather than a preventive one.
Good points! (I was just joking about the conspiracy)

I have even heard people say that their doctors have admitted that it is just easier to prescribe a pill, than waste their breath and time help people learn how to live a more healthful lifestyle. That won't change with the government run healthcare, hence, there will be no change in the health of our country.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Many doctors at my clinic really TRY to get people to make better choices. People don't want to, most of them. It is easier to ask a doctor to fix your problems than do the hard work of preventing them. I think it's just a national attitude problem.
And the difficulty is that it is in the best financial interests of companies to get you to buy their products, healthy for you or not, so they advertise and promote them with waaaaaay more money than the gummint could EVER possibly spend on promoting a lifestyle *not* based on those sorts of products.

I have no idea what to do about it, but that, as I see it, is the bottom-line *problem*.

Pat

me&thegals

Reaction score
Righto--While the corn-products industry is huge, who's out there promoting the lowly carrot, for example? Yes, there's not a lot of money to be made by living clean.

Latest posts