Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You should get her some live crickets, bet that would cheer her up! It would probably be a pretty good laugh for you too watching a half bald turkey race around chasing crickets too!

Poor thing, she looks miserable. That would scare the beejeezus outta me if I had her thrust into the shower while I had soap in my eyes!!! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I did a little research a few years ago when I was looking for an easy protein supplement for my flock and I found that most catfood had a protein level of about 37%, similar to soymeal. But FAR, FAR more expensive than soymeal! And often made with a lot of grains....and soy. So it is simple, especially if you have it on hand, but not the most cost-effective source of protein for the flock. Just a thought. :p

ETA: I cook down bones and scraps for my hens, and have a bag of soymeal on hand to fill a hanging feeder with in late winter when the scraps become scarce. I would love to be soy-independent and it is a goal of mine. I hardly use any soy anymore.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I would love to be soy-independent and it is a goal of mine. I hardly use any soy anymore.
you know, Free, i LOVE that you say this. i've had it with 'soy is good for you' - and i hate that its use is so widespread. we havent been able to move to homemade cat/dog food - but cant wait until we do. we supplement with eggs etc... but i keep looking at the big dog and the soy based food and back to the big dog.... for heavens sakes! a wolf is not a vegetarian!!!

keep that message up! no weird people who believe it!! i do NOT need to eat soy!!! blech.

one of my little hens is already leading the charge against bagged food - a saw her hunt for and snatch up a mole! whoot!! go little hen go!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My grandma Nettie said that during the depression people used to feed their hens roadkill. Now THAT would be a cheap way to up the protein for sure ... if you have the nose for it! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
My grandma Nettie said that during the depression people used to feed their hens roadkill. Now THAT would be a cheap way to up the protein for sure ... if you have the nose for it! :lol:
:sick Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, eh? Still gross tho. :/ My ex's pa was known to NOT let road kill go to waste, he didn't have chickens, get my drift. :sick

Hey OFG in your former life, were you a writer of some sort? You are really good at it. I burst out laughing with every post you write. People around here think I'm crazy. I think I may be a borderline stalker/addict...gotta get my OFG laugh-fix!! :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
.. but i keep looking at the big dog and the soy based food and back to the big dog.... for heavens sakes! a wolf is not a vegetarian!!!
Have you ever read a bag of Purina Beneful? The main ingredients are ...

"Ground yellow corn, chicken-by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour"

... So where's the meat?

I feed Diamond brand Chicken and Rice dog food (at TSC) the main ingredients are...

"Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat" - actual meat ... and it costs about the same as the BENEFUL!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i swear FF i just love your grandma Nettie.. seriously!

come to think of it.. roadkill would be cheap.. and we passed a couple of deer that cant be more than a couple of days old... hum.....

and yep the pet food thing is tough. we are pretty far out to get any other brands then what you can find in the store. but i'll check TSC. for a while we had all the cats on Wellness but then someone couldnt take it and well the whole thing spiraled out of control. the alternative dog foods tend to be really pricey if you can even find them. we keep working toward making our own. as it is we use Iams for large breeds and supplement the heck out of them.

once i get that calf tho - its nothing but meat meat meat for them dogs. i figured it out one time and the dog food is one of our biggest bills just b/c we dont buy very much other stuff. i love this farmin thing
:)

hey BBH! thanks for the props.. but nope. no kinda writer at all. i was all corporate speak before... i could really drill down on the over arching goals to ensure that we met our objectives across departments and....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

huh what? i blacked out there for a second and thought i was still a corporate monkey! yikes! ok surrounded by cats, chicken poop in my hair.. ok ok i'm fine now whew!

but you can totally be a stalker!! yay!!! we can be BFFs!! whoot!
;-)

heard it was beautiful there today in the Sea-tucky - hope that you enjoyed the mountains!

:)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
The cost of dog food just kills us! I'm just too chicken (no pun intended) to feed raw meat to my dogs. We've a friend who fed raw venison to his, and that dog started killing cows! He took down 8 holstiens at the local dairy farm! *shudders*

We do buy some knuckle bones for Zoe, and she loves to crack those things open to get to the marrow. I'm not talking processed rawhide thingys, these are real bones from I think bulls or something.

Oh, and bully sticks....which are bull parts...if you get my meaning....the dogs go nuts for those things!

I might tell the butcher to save me Chase's...uh...*part* when we have him butchered next fall.

I do feed them eggs, etc.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm with you QA... even if i could i wouldnt feed raw as along as we are in running distance of any farm/livestock including our own. one of my dog trainer pals wondered why i dont just give the dogs raw eggs in the shell instead of making a 'dog food omlette'.... at first i thought he was kidding.

but then i explained that i didnt want to create that kind of interest. the last thing i need is those two big galoots following the hens around until they had an egg. aint nobody likes an egg-sucking dog.

plus all i can think of is that commercial where the dog goes out and eats and rolls in 'whatever' and comes in and licks the owner?? and the narrator says 'you're not as clean as you think you are.' hee hee hee ick.

but pet food is like religion - everyone has a point of view and does whats right for them. and there is a whole lot of evangelizing! the raw foodies over on BYC are just plain hostile! yikes!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forgive me, I know you've heard this before - but I've just read the entire 10 pages of your journal and I think I've died and gone to OFG heaven. You really need to look into a book deal. I know we'd all buy it!