Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Excellent blog post, OFG, I bookmarked that page! So many great ideas for using the goat milk.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Excellent blog post, OFG, I bookmarked that page! So many great ideas for using the goat milk.
x2! :thumbsup :thumbsup
I love the corn + milk to finish the creepers suggestion! Since we have some, we are going to have to do that!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Figures.....I don't get on here for a few days and OFG's goat explodes....triplets....good grief! They sure are cute, babe! Congrats on not passing out! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my!! they are beautifull! I swear...( well not literally) but you have me laughing every time I read your posts. Congrats on all of them, too cute!!!!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Where IS OFG this morning. I need my morning funny fix.

I can't have any of that coffee of hers on the counter, but I'm grabbing that last slice of pie. She left it, she must not want it, right?

*savingdogs nonchalantly sneaks the pie off the counter and tries to find an inconsipicous place on the porch to devour the rest by herself before anyone realizes there are two pieces here.*

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope everything is fine your way. That was a heck of a storm last night.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh golly java... i'm totally turned around.

we were up at 3am and 6am... wind howling, dogs freakin' out, cats scattering.... and wondering if we should run into the basement. wow what a rain! what a wind! and then the thunder stopped mid-boom. yikes!!!

did you see there were tornado warnings north of columbus?? more yikes!

no damage here and the goaties are all fine.

i'm a little frustrated tho - the only "real" livestock vet has the worst receptionist on record. i called and asked about disbudding - she had no idea but would call me tomorrow. my questions are - do you do this? how much? and when can we do it.

she had no idea. like REALLY no idea. i think she's worked at this office 5 years.

are you kidding? no one else has asked about this? shouldn't it be $15 and come right in?

so we are trying to figure out - get the disbudding thingy or pay for just one of the babies (the doeling) to get disbudded. but i'm too delirious to figure it out.

i can feel the little nubs but they have not erupted thru the skin. at 4 days old, how much time do i have until its "too late?"

the neighbors do NOT disbud so we wont do anything for the little bucks but if we have to sell Dahlia it will be easier if she is polled - so thats why we'll do it for her.

can anybody help me think straight? i think i need more coffee and a nap.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, the tornado sirens in our backyard went off. Unnecessarily. So tired now. The thunder stopped right in the middle of one? Freaky.

4 days is not too early to disbud if you can feel the horns. Do you know any other breeders that do it? Vita's breeder? Most are quite willing to teach/do it for you. We did it ourselves after getting taught by our breeder. I would say I could help you, but I feel I'm not ready to try it on somebody else's goat. The large animal vets at OSU might be able to do it. Or you could place a craigslist ad, but be prepared for obnoxious replies.

another thought - ask your 4-h kids if anyone in their club does it, or local FFA groups at high schools

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Weeeelllll.....first of all - Dahlia won't be polled if you disbud her. Polled means naturally hornless so if you advertise her as polled people will think that she never had horns to begin with and expect some of her offspring to be polled. She's just gonna be disbudded.

Sorry - :hide

Second - you have anywhere from days to weeks to disbud her. Unfortunately all goats are different and I have no idea when it's actually time to disbud them. I did my doelings at 10 days old and I think I may have done it too early. Time will tell, though.

The disbudding iron will cost you anywhere from $60-$90 depending on what you buy and shipping. If the vet will do it for $15 each and they know what they're doing - go that way.

My vet charged me $96 to do two of my kids last year - that's why I said screw that and borrowed an iron from my friend.

ETA - check out my journal. Me and Java posted pics of our kids after they were disbudded and can give you an idea of what we did. SD has pics in her journal of what the goat person named O did to hers.

Latest posts