Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Good neighbors ;)

And she COULD still be faking. Maybe she borrowed the babies from someone to see what you'd do.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can use Dinah if you want - it really works for a goat girl. :love

How do you keep your goats from blowing through their grain so fast that they are finished before you even get the teats washed? Mine inhale it and then start their kicking nonsense. I can't give them more because they are already having clumpy poo from the little they get. And they scoff at hay on the stand. I found out I cannot tie their legs with twine by myself so I guess I'll be ordering a hobble. :barnie ...wanders off to find that 'kicky milker' thread at BYH for ideas...
This morning was ridiculous with cats, whining toddlers, kicking goats, sniffing dogs, Fran quacking in the background. Not good at all. I was about ready to use some of that language you save for special occasions. I find I do better without hubby trying to help. Bless him for being interested, but I got this.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It sounds like it all went pretty smoothly, you and TBM are going to be old pros at this before you know it! Is this your second year of kidding or third.....I am pretty sure it has only been a short time.

You'll get over the gross stuff soon :thumbs

The babies are adorable!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:clap I was worried about the big boy! Will the neighbor kids take them right away and bottle feed them, or will you let them nurse? (I'd send 'em away, personally, I am greedy for milk that way!)

Java, this is why I used soaked beet pulp, it slows 'em down. I also add some alfalfa pellets, as it is just compressed hay. As she gets better and you get quicker, you can reduce the alfalfa if you want. Add any chopped veg scraps from the house, too, and from any friend or neighbor who will save them. People can save them up for you in a bag in their freezer, and you can thaw them and cut them up, all squishy, and the goat will still eat them. Broccoli stems, cauliflower, green bean trim, carrot and apple peels....know anyone who still cooks?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oooh, thanks for the suggestions Free! I have to go to the feed store so I'll pick up some beet pulp and alfalfa pellets to add to the mix. They will inhale anything so I'm not at all worried about them being picky - except for carrots. They hate carrots :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
l always let the doe eat the placenta or what she wants of it.
it is nature.

I would just move it to the side after it fell if it was near the kids nesting area etc. or in the way. Slime, I hate slime LOL but I never had trouble picking up anything nasty.....with critters nasty and ICK go together! :p

reading your kidding story was FUN I remember those days....my first few years of kidding were wonderful. It was fun to read the excitement in your post!!!!

hope all 3 do well for you! :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Javamama said:
You can use Dinah if you want - it really works for a goat girl. :love

How do you keep your goats from blowing through their grain so fast that they are finished before you even get the teats washed? Mine inhale it and then start their kicking nonsense. I can't give them more because they are already having clumpy poo from the little they get. And they scoff at hay on the stand. I found out I cannot tie their legs with twine by myself so I guess I'll be ordering a hobble. :barnie ...wanders off to find that 'kicky milker' thread at BYH for ideas...
This morning was ridiculous with cats, whining toddlers, kicking goats, sniffing dogs, Fran quacking in the background. Not good at all. I was about ready to use some of that language you save for special occasions. I find I do better without hubby trying to help. Bless him for being interested, but I got this.
Shredded root veges are the answer here.
They add good nutrients, and do not upset their gut.
I think 1 pound is correct for a doe in milk.

Growing up, we also tied off the legs of the kickers.

Latest posts