Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Gosh, I didn't do nothin...I didn't know anything about them, had to learn myself.

Racoon worms are just a different variety of roundworm that lives normally in racoons, so a dog or cat has to injest the animal or its...fecal matter...in order to contract the worm. I would be having a coon hunt for sure right about now. But I read that 90 percent of the racoons in the midwest would have this, so it is very common. Not so much elsewhere but it is by me on the "left coast." They do live in other animals besides racoons and are rather nasty as they can migrate to vital organs if left unchecked....which of course will not happen in this case.

Vets usually treat coccidiosis in dogs with something called Albon. There is a pill and a liquid. Dogs love that liquid, it is like a treat. I love it when they give it to you that way. It just keeps the cocci from multiplying and the animals own immune system has to fight it off, but the treated animals fecal matter will no longer contaminate the environment. Make sure the animal has plenty of water, that medication is hard on their system.

Java the website said skunks could carry this, too! The bad thing about these worms is that they can be passed to humans and the results can be fatal to humans or animals (if left unchecked)....so they probably make everyone stand up at attention at the vets! I don't think caught early enough it will be any big deal however, just a matter of deworming.

I have seen a dog die of coccidiosis before so it can be serious and I would not treat it with remedies from the feed store even though you all know I do everything on the cheap. But usually all dogs have some cocci in their stool, it is somewhat normal, you just don't want to see the level too high.

So there is the "poop".....as I know it....someone else could probably give you a more technical explanation but I'm best at translating doctor-speak into layperson language.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Couldn't we imagine that the carcass was consumed instead? Much better visual, at least for me. Maybe that is worse?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* thinks about dog in question....*

umm....no.

but good try baby!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

almost have these shelves done! whooot!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here is a thing about raccoon worms .

We used to rehab raccoons and learned a lot about their physiology. Did you know they can contract BOTH cat and dog diseases? They often play a big part in spreading disease in both species.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched an episode of "House" once about a little boy that had raccoon worms. It scared the fire out of me. He supposedly got them from playing in a sandbox where raccoons had deficated and put his fingers in his mouth. I know it was just a show, but it was still scary. They parannoy me now.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I know they can carry distemper, and that one is nasty.

Looks like the best way to deal with anything they have been around is burning....

Golly that first picture on that link sure isn't appetizing.....

By the way I love your goat pictures on your blog today!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I watched an episode of "House" once about a little boy that had raccoon worms. It scared the fire out of me. He supposedly got them from playing in a sandbox where raccoons had deficated and put his fingers in his mouth. I know it was just a show, but it was still scary. They parannoy me now.
I saw that one too and didn't let my son in the sandbox for ages!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow. That's all I gotta say after catching up on the last few days of this journal.

*note to self* check OFG's journal every day so I don't miss anything!!! :lol: