Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hi Hattie. :frow Long time no see. I hope all is well for you!!!

g
:frow :frow

Hi Gina, I'm fine now the 5 weeks of snow & ice has gone.....that was grim!
I hope you are good too? I keep up with what is going on here, even if I don't post much. I check up on you all most days............!!! :ep

Hattie

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think I can translate that doctor-speak for you.

"some dehissence may occur from the compromised" (compromised WHAT?)...

I think the word "area" or "tail" or "skin" was left off of this message.

What that means is ....no guarantees that this will heal pretty. The skin around the wound could all sluff off and need further stuff to repair. They were worried about the condition of the tissue that they sewed together. I suspect there was little to draw together and close so they had to use what was available.

This is just a general disclaimer stating "I did the best I could with what you brought me, but it may not work out perfect."

I would have them re-check it. If that tissues sluffs the world won't end....it can still heal with dehissense just might take more time and money. They were prepping you.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just thinks it's darn funny to use the word 'dehissense' with a cat injury :D Hope he's all better soon.

Hey - do you still love your new coffee maker? I gotta replace my press. The plunger thingy is broken - I will get a replacement one, but I need a bigger size pot for weekends. What are the 'perks' of the one you have?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks SD - i knew you'd have the answers!

actually i thought he did a great job with what was there.... especially when they told us it was much worse than they thought when they got him all shaved. so i was grateful they didnt just whack off his poor tail. and yep i figured with such low circulation he'd have a wicked scar. but chicks did scars so thats ok.

we are keeping a close eye on it and are going back on Feb 1 to have it checked (they set the appt with the instructions).

the only weird thing to me is that they didnt give instructions to put anything on the suture site - but i'm guessing that would inhibit, rather and encourage, healing.. and he'd probably lick it off causing further irritation?

i noticed there were two diff color sutures so i'm guessing there are "internal" (lack of a better word) and external stitches? or some are dissolvable and some are not? it was a pretty ragged wound.

and now i have to go fluff his pillows and fan him with palm fronds...after i peel some grapes and open another can of imported italian tuna.... oh and i forgot the just flown in today cream from a remote village in switzerland....

;-)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to picture the injury. A cat's tail really has a very small area to work on. I suspect you are right about the different color sutures...those are just from using different size needles (with attached threads of different colors). Yes, some dissolve and this could be how they will tell which is which.

Smash injuries I've seen sometimes did have to have some tail removed because there was not enough to close over the top and/or the bone was damaged too. They probably could have made the healing easier/cheaper for you had you docked the tail but it sounds like you let them know you wanted to keep it for him.

It might do just fine.....doctors like to warn people when they are unsure how things will work out.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Oh and suture site....usually doesn't need anything on it. They like animal wounds to be dry as they heal, not wet or sticky. Watch for bad smells from there, that would be what dehissense would smell like. Being wet is usually a bad sign in a wound.

Free, when I went from medical transcription to working for a vet, I was surprised how the medical terminology was the same words. I had worked for dentists as well and medical words are just medical words, constructed the same way. Even the names for bones are the same pretty much. When I noted to a veterinarian that she sutured wounds in the same manner a dentist would, she gave me a really wry expression and said, "Well, after all, we ARE doctors!."

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Heh, vets and techs smell stuff all the time like that. When it is bad, you don't have to get your nose too close anyway! But you should see vets gleefully dig through poo and vomit, looking for things. I used to always think....guess that is what you get PAID to do.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* OFG anxiously pacing around the house, hovers nervously over Nicholas, gives his tail a big sniff, goes back to anxiously pacing around the house *