Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
All this talk of cheese makes me so excited! I'm collecting my first batch of goats milk.

What would you say is the best beginner cheese?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Start with chevre (I seriously find chevre boring and yucky, even with herbs) and then try feta. Both are easy and fairly foolproof. I say fairly because there will always be mystery failures....but if the failure smells good, it is still cheese!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
question - our fresh cherve won't taste like that nasty tube shaped stuff you can buy st the store, right. That stuff tastes like vomit to me :sick I have never had goat cheese that tasted good yet - but none of it has been from fresh milk either.

And - is there a kit or package I should buy to get started, something that has a good bang for the buck? I don't have any cheese making supplies yet.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Javamama said:
question - our fresh cherve won't taste like that nasty tube shaped stuff you can buy st the store, right. That stuff tastes like vomit to me :sick I have never had goat cheese that tasted good yet - but none of it has been from fresh milk either.

And - is there a kit or package I should buy to get started, something that has a good bang for the buck? I don't have any cheese making supplies yet.
:pop Me too, except I'm doing it on-the-cheap. I see beautiful stuff in the Hoegger supply catalog but that will have to happen some year when we have money. I think I want everything IN this dang catalog. But I can't spend several hundred dollars making cheese.

Oh, and I've never had chevre......I hope I can find a decent recipe for something okay or my sons may never try my cheese again!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I started a beginning cheesemaker thread so we don't hijack OFG's ADVANCED cheesemaking thread ideas for us newbies Java.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Same here SD. I've looked at other cheese making supply places, and it seems like it shouldn't be expensive to get the basic ingredients.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I spend about $50 for the year and if I had someone to split the order with, we'd both have enough for the year with that order if we ordered one more packet of meso culture. And I make a LOT of cheese! I get new stuff each year so it is fresh. My milk is just too precious to risk old cultures on it.

When you order your rennet, order veal rennet. If you use veg rennet and get into aged cheeses, it can bitter the cheese. I order two ounces and have yet to come close to using it up. I make 4 to 4.5 gallon batches at a time. So you won't need too much stuff!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good tips Free! That really is pretty inexpensive for a year's worth of cheese.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
my thermostat says that it's 75* outside right now.... i'm flipping out. i'm gonna go lay in the grass!
:weee
Grass, what grass?