Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I got my iron from ValleyVet and it was here in 2 days. The Rhinehart x30.

Here's the number for the OSU vet and the link I had on file http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/general-medicine
Don't know if they do disbudding, but it's worth a shot. And don't go to someone who puts them under. You want disbudding, not dehorning.
For an appointment: (614) 292-6661, Ext. 1

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* wanders into kitchen, bumps into things, searches in vain for coffee *

thanks java the 4H kids are mostly meat folks and i guess they dont do it. but i'll ask the Kid when she comes over today to do the BoSe shots

thanks glenolam... too groggy for registering any additional info, but i'll remember to look back here and make flashcards on goat-horn-stuff. i think i'll come up with my own words like "pointy" and "non pointy goats"
;-)

but thats what i'm sayin -- the iron thingy is about $70 at the local TSC...and if we only have ONE little goaty to do... seems stupid to buy it this year if i dont have too.

i saw java's pix.. i'll check out yours too. i think we can totally do it ourselves (i'm immune to crying goats as mean as i am) but i'm trying to squirrel out of spending the moola if i dont have to (cheap as i am).

OK Kai said she made my coffee...
ps in my delirium i'm making fun of my (pun)... phonetically "OK Kai" is close to hawaiian for "of the sea"
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........................

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Our breeder has her vet come disbud her Nigerians at 2 weeks. Don't know how much she charges for it though.

We are getting tornado warnings here too. Right now we have gusts at 25-35mph and the storm is heading east right toward us. Rain should start in about an hour or two. I'm trying to keep everything from blowing away here too.

Hopefully we don't lose anymore shingles!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Javamama said:
How do you keep your goats from blowing through their grain so fast that they are finished before you even get the teats washed?
I don't give them any grain until I get them washed and everything ready to go for milking. Then if they eat it too fast, they have to stand there and "be good" for the rest of the time.

I only give them about 4 cups of grain in a bowl on the milk stand. It is a game to see who can finish first!!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I made them wait until they were cleaned up - it's been so muddy here that wiping the udder is taking a while. They weren't happy but they had no choice.
The alfalfa cubes are helping to slow them down too. Perdy loves them and she really has to chew for awhile.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
OFG did you hear how I found my person who disbudded? I placed a craigs list ad looking for someone whose ad I'd seen but couldn't find again.

Instead, someone e-mailed me and suggested the person I went to. I'm really happy I found her. I'm thick skinned about procedures to animals as well but was glad I got to at least watch her perform that with an eye towards how to do it next time. But frankly, I'll just pay her 15 dollars next time....that is what she charged me and then 10 for any subsequent kids.

My ad ran "Looking for Disbudding person".....

I was looking for a particular person but I heard back from four people and chose the one of the four that was both closer and sounded experienced. Another person contacted me offering to sell me a used disbudder, but that was after I had arranged things. But I never in a million years would have thought that technique would be so successful!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks SD!

yep i was thinking about doing that. but we have a LOT of scammers around here on our CL for whatever reason. i'm thinking of setting up a separate email and everything because of it. who knew that wire transfer con artists in 3rd world countries would try and get me to ship them geese??

the neighbor mom is coming over tonite - so i'll see who she knows.

and i've got a call into another vet too.

now that i have a pot of coffee in me i'm a little more functional...

here's something fun...

after we stopped by the MIL for her stupid poodles to bite us - and for her to make some lame excuse about why she lets them do it....

...i made a new farm contact yesterday! we met a woman in a town south of us (the halfway mark) and sold her two of our geese! no not OD... you''d have to pry him out of my old dead hands...

but we sold our Jr. gander and one of the unnamed rabble.

turns out she has silkies and runner ducks! she'll be hearing from us for sure. i'd take a broody hen from her in a hot second altho i'm not sure how a puffy silkie would do in our mud pit right now.

it was pretty hilarious driving down the road with the two silly gooses in the back of the truck.

we put them in feedsacks (heads sticking thru holes) and then put them in a big box side by side. it was like they were in their own little car or airplane or whatever little kids pretend boxes are these days.

of course we had the truck WITH the cap (windows open) but we pretended they were flying REALLY fast. it was very funny. from time to time one of us would turn around and say "hey there's geese behind us and they are gaining ground!"

we think we are hilarious.

anyway, she loved them. so yay!

and now i gots me a contact for runners! whoooot!

hey Bourbon Red! you'd better get our ducks layin'!!! whooot!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You guys are a trip and a half :lol:
...and yep, our craigslist here is full of weirdos!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i'd take a broody hen from her in a hot second altho i'm not sure how a puffy silkie would do in our mud pit right now.
if my Silkies are any indication, they do just fine in a mud pit. actually seem to enjoy it. they are mostly on a hill, but somehow the area right in front of their house stays wet a lot and they seem to love squelching around in it.

and speaking of mud pits... HOLY MACKEREL we just had a serious storm. half the state is flooding. i spent 30 mins in the POURING rain, dodging lightning, trying to get the STUPID chickens to go in their house since it looked like the creek was going to overflow it's boundaries any second. the weather has just been so nuts lately (for all of us).

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My roo is a silkie in a mud pit. He's a half white silkie in a mud pit. He does fine. He's not a prissy kind of roo at all. It isn't necessarily pretty mind you. :/