Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Mine, too. All hooves and hair and very lean!

maybe enough for goat nuggets!

Actually when I brought this idea up to Hubby he was appalled. I think he would hunt birds and wild game before we would eat goat, even if we would starving, although I would perhaps prefer to barter them with someone else for some sort of meat I don't know on a first-name basis. :sick

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I can butcher a duck I know on a first name basis, I see no reason you can't eat a goat. I mean seriously...ducks are way cuter anyway...

:hide

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Henrietta23 said:
freemotion said:
I just had a thought....if I have an OFG spring, I'll have 22 goats by the time the kidding storm is done..... :th
Hmmmmm, 4th goat for Hen??? Have an extra doeling for me!! (Ooo, did I say that outloud???) :hide
HAH!!! Got it, Hen! Now that I've quoted you, you can't go back and edit it! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Make that: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! (evil laugh...)

I am still swooning at the thought of all triplets from five goats. Thank goodness two are first fresheners and Mya has had two singles in a row....But I'll still have a doeling for you!

And anyone else, reserve your goats now! :lol:
Eeep! What have I done!!?? I've already told DH I want to move the birds out of the barn and have more room for the goats. He didn't seem to catch the implication that there could be more. Thinking it through though I might want to wait till next spring. I want to breed Daisy next year. Still on the fence about Donki. She's been so much better since the weather started warming up that I almost feel like she could handle it after all. She was on her rear legs last night trying to bounce her food dish out of my hands.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If I can butcher a duck I know on a first name basis, I see no reason you can't eat a goat. I mean seriously...ducks are way cuter anyway...

:hide
:smack

Ya better hide!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Eeep! What have I done!!?? I've already told DH I want to move the birds out of the barn and have more room for the goats. He didn't seem to catch the implication that there could be more. Thinking it through though I might want to wait till next spring. I want to breed Daisy next year. Still on the fence about Donki. She's been so much better since the weather started warming up that I almost feel like she could handle it after all. She was on her rear legs last night trying to bounce her food dish out of my hands.
Don't worry, Hen, I'm just kidding! :rolleyes: (2/3 of a pun....P-U!)

You should save room to keep one of Daisy's kids, should she have a doeling, or even one of Donki's, as long as you bottle feed. I still have to have Plum tested. Mya has never had a symptom.

As for eating young kids.....that reminded me of something that happened when I was a kid myself. One of our keeper doelings broke her leg and my dad butchered her. He couldn't pull the trigger. He did the other butchering, but could not bear to kill the baby. He had to get a neighbor to come over and do the deed.

I refused to eat her (I was the primary animal caretaker, no surprise!) but didn't know the difference when she was served up. My parents were smart enough not to tell me. My mom was a great cook!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How are the babies doing OFG? Is Nibbles being responsible this time around?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
what on earth is happening while i'm out there slogging around in the soggy mud poop soup?!?!?! yikes!

so Nibbles is actually being really good. and her babies are doing well. Nibs even tried to head butt Debbies no-longer-cute babies when they tried to get in her pen! so maybe the mommy thing has clicked this time.

Debbie, for her part, is holding in her dang milk and she's really on the list today. but she looks pretty so not too many demerits.

Deb's little pip poppers are in their extra bouncy and cute stage. anytime we try to get anything done out there we are mobbed by funny little faces. saturday is D-day for Dahlia. we're going to disbud her. the bucklings get a pass - the neighbor kids keep the horns for their 4H projects.

Vita is happy as a clam and gave a good bucket of milk today. she's just about hit her stride.

we sold some more geese and ducks yesterday. it was a good $$ deal - the $$ will pay for most of our hay thru mid/late summer. we're going tomorrow to load up from our hay guy.

so i guess the big question is could/would we?

um...

yep.

in fact, its a good thing Bourbon Red lives so far away - he's frothing at the mouth for carbrito!

but the thing is - the kids are more valuable on the hoof....so they get a pass. Deb's kids are our gift to the 4H kid who will make pretty good money off them at the fair - and Nibbles' babies are barely big enough to spread on a cracker. and I think I can get $50 for the boy and $125 for the doelings. thats a lot of feed vs just a couple of bites.

but i have heard that folks dress them like rabbits. they just dont seem to have much meat on them so it doesnt make cents/sense to me.

and for the legal disclaimer: i am a goat LIKER not a goat lover. and today i gotta side with WZ - ducks are cuter. i'll take their flippity-floppity little feet any day over all the goosing around those little skip poppers are doing.

(and i'm not hiding under anything - its just the way of things)
;-)

but to be fair.... we couldnt/wouldnt raise meat rabbits (they are too much like cats and you know we are the crazy cat people). so i guess it all evens out.

and all y'all know that i'm about pork anyway so good is good. that reminds me - i got some half dressed roosters in the fridge downstairs.. PF Chang's orange chicken for supper it is!

happy sloggy thursday!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
what on earth is happening while i'm out there slogging around in the soggy mud poop soup?!?!?! yikes!

so Nibbles is actually being really good. and her babies are doing well. Nibs even tried to head butt Debbies no-longer-cute babies when they tried to get in her pen! so maybe the mommy thing has clicked this time.

Debbie, for her part, is holding in her dang milk and she's really on the list today. but she looks pretty so not too many demerits.

Deb's little pip poppers are in their extra bouncy and cute stage. anytime we try to get anything done out there we are mobbed by funny little faces. saturday is D-day for Dahlia. we're going to disbud her. the bucklings get a pass - the neighbor kids keep the horns for their 4H projects.

Vita is happy as a clam and gave a good bucket of milk today. she's just about hit her stride.

we sold some more geese and ducks yesterday. it was a good $$ deal - the $$ will pay for most of our hay thru mid/late summer. we're going tomorrow to load up from our hay guy.

so i guess the big question is could/would we?

um...

yep.

in fact, its a good thing Bourbon Red lives so far away - he's frothing at the mouth for carbrito!

but the thing is - the kids are more valuable on the hoof....so they get a pass. Deb's kids are our gift to the 4H kid who will make pretty good money off them at the fair - and Nibbles' babies are barely big enough to spread on a cracker. and I think I can get $50 for the boy and $125 for the doelings. thats a lot of feed vs just a couple of bites.

but i have heard that folks dress them like rabbits. they just dont seem to have much meat on them so it doesnt make cents/sense to me.

and for the legal disclaimer: i am a goat LIKER not a goat lover. and today i gotta side with WZ - ducks are cuter. i'll take their flippity-floppity little feet any day over all the goosing around those little skip poppers are doing.

(and i'm not hiding under anything - its just the way of things)
;-)

but to be fair.... we couldnt/wouldnt raise meat rabbits (they are too much like cats and you know we are the crazy cat people). so i guess it all evens out.

and all y'all know that i'm about pork anyway so good is good. that reminds me - i got some half dressed roosters in the fridge downstairs.. PF Chang's orange chicken for supper it is!

happy sloggy thursday!
how are they half dressed? just shirts, no pants? all underthings no overthings? i'm confused :p

also, in terms of the rabbits, I plan on raising rabbits for eating, for us and the dogs/cats :) And I'm with OFG, it doesn't make centsr to eat them when they are more valuable alive, or even when they can give you more meat at 6 months old :D

And, in the spirit of the current discussion, is there anything ya'll wouldn't eat? I know I wouldn't eat our dogs, but I could eat strange dogs :D and I could eat cat easily. stupid cats. all claws and teeth. :D

sekinkead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We actually butchered our first rabbit about a month ago. The meat rabbits are so much different than the pet rabbits. My daughter has 2 mini rex rabbits and my son also has a lionhead. They are much smaller than the meat rabbits and very cute. I would have a hard time eating them. The meat rabbits are New Zealands, white with red eyes, and they get so big and eat so much it was a relief to finally butcher. The one female we butchered was a little over a year and I put the legs/thighs in the crock pot all day, mmmmmmm it was so good.

My daughter kept saying she was not going to eat rabbit but when we all starting talking about how good it is she tried it. The funny thing is she loved it and can't wait to have more. She is even a little interested in the butchering process this time. She is fine with the meat rabbits being eaten as long as we don't talk about butchering the pet rabbits.

I don't think I could eat dog/cat though, anything else I will try.

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mmmmm.... cabrito... drool.....

But no - that makes for some pretty expensive eatin' when you can get some sucker, I mean animal lover, to pay that much for little tiny things like that! Get rid of them babies and get that milk into a PIG!
:)