Okra??

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Monday we bought another half bushel of okra, i put it up Tuesday. Our neighbor Robert was over yesterday lamenting that his wife won't put anything up, so I told him why didn't he do it himself? I said I'd teach him. DH called our favorite produce stand guy and he said he'd have a half bushel for Robert this morning.

We went to Walmart yesterday evening and found corn for 10 cents an ear! We bought 60 ears for us and 20 for Robert. So not only did he get okra lessons today, he learned how to make cream corn. I got started at 6:30 AM and had our corn put up by the time Robert got here. I had shucked and washed his corn, so i showed him how to blanch it, cut it off the cob and scrape it. While he cut corn, i washed his okra. Then we made 8 pints of pickled okra. We cut okra and i showed him how I oven blanched it. He left with 6 bags of cream corn, 8 pints of pickled okra and 15 bags of 2 cups each of cut okra, ready for the freezer. We never quit, took a break or stopped. Snicker, snicker.......I worked his A$$ off...':lol: Now he has more than a faint idea of how preserving the garden produce really works. :gig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
<singing on> we've only just begun, to pick the okra. <singing off>

First few
IMG_20170807_184020704.jpg

Into the cornmeal you go
IMG_20170807_185343963.jpg

Into the frypan :)
IMG_20170807_190530964.jpg

Just a touch of salt - so good... This will put a big smile on a southern man's face, right here and right now!!!

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oldest DD loves okra pickled most of all. We all like it that way but she would literally not eat anything else if there was okra on the table.

I like a few sliced really thin and used in fried rice.

Of course we love fried okra. I sometimes will chop up summer squash, onions and green tomatoes and fry up with the okra when I don't have enough of any one thing to cook alone.

Ellie Mae

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow i have missed alot!! Being a mom of 4 means i dnt always have time to talk. Sry!! Bt so far i have canned my okra, Frozen okra, and dehydrated okra!! We r up to geting adout 2lb a day and my plans r taller then me lol. (I am 5'9)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We cut it into slices raw - coat with corn meal, load up freezer bags and freeze. But when it first comes in, I'll make a huge pot of seafood gumbo and my wife will pressure can it.

I really like deep fried okra so that's probably why we freeze it this way.

Okra is crazy... Got to pick it everyday and if you miss a day it gets too big to eat overnight.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I fry mine, and put it in soups. I don't like it boiled. And yes on the cutting every day...I'm gonna have lots of seed :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Kind of green bean, kind of asparagus, very unique flavor..hard to describe...if it's fried till it's not slimy it's really good. I like mine a little crunchy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fry mine, and put it in soups. I don't like it boiled. And yes on the cutting every day...I'm gonna have lots of seed :D
The seeds from those big ones are actually pretty good in chicken or turkey soup, they get soft after boiling a while and of course all things go in a big old huge pot of Brunswick stew :) Brunswick stew <--- what was that I just eat? Who cares! it's good!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kind of green bean, kind of asparagus, very unique flavor..hard to describe...if it's fried till it's not slimy it's really good. I like mine a little crunchy.

Me too - i like it coated in yellow cornmeal and fried to just a little bit crunchy. No need to make a batter using egg - plenty of slime in okra already to soak up the cornmeal.

Latest posts