Okra??

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even think I've ever seen it in the grocery store! My husband said he tried jt once and didn't like it, but his mom made it and she's... Not a great cook. Honestly, I had to look it up to see what it even looked like. Okra ignorant northerner here, lol!

I guess it's like a southern thing... I know for sure when I cross the mason dixon line when I order sweet tea and the waitress comes back with a glass of tea and packets of sugar and tells me I need to make my own sweet :( It just ain't the same as putting sugar & water & tea bags in a big glass container and setting it out in the sun until done...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My MIL always canned okra and this was the best okra after she canned it. She did her summer squash the same way. It is not USDA safe recommendations though. Frozen could never hold a candle to the fresh taste of hers.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! Yes no sweet tea here either! I don't think I've ever had sweet tea in the southern sense. I'm not very cultured I suppose, lol. DH went to high school in Georgia so he's had more of a taste of southern life than me!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi you're not from the states though. It's pretty much a Southern staple over here across the pond. In my county if you pass a garden without okra growing you know a "transplant" lives there lol!!
That is probably why I've never heard of it or seen it before. Pity, I am so curious about it now! If/when I make it over the pond one day I'll have to go visit a State that grows the stuff and give it a try.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do put sugar in my tea, but not that much! Eek!

Umm nope on getting okra in a store, no Popeyes, no Cajun restaurants. I suppose there must be somewhere I could order okra? Maybe?

what's your address? maybe we can mail you some and it won't be too soft when u get.. lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I can only handle it fried or in soups, but I may try it dehydrated too since I haven't tasted it like that yet. I can't even stand the thought of eating it raw...the texture would not suit me at all. I'll try almost anything....almost.