One Animal??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can milk a mare and eat......oh, never mind.....

One animal, or one type of animal? I would take cows if I had room....milk, meat, fat, cheese, etc. Goats with the place I have now. I'd miss eggs. But I'd have butter and cheese!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Blackbird said:
Goats!

Depending on the breeds.. if you go with Cashmere/Angora you can get milk, meat, fiber, and manure for compost. As well as brush clearing and entertainment. Course, I personally will stick with my Nubians, so no fiber there really.
Mushrooms sprung up where I pastured my goats and provided us with bumper crops of "pinkies".
What are pinkies?
Either a miking breed of sheep or a cashmere or angora goat. That way I'd have milk and fiber. Pretty sure hubby would want cattle.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
freemotion said:

One animal, or one type of animal? I would take cows if I had room....milk, meat, fat, cheese, etc. Goats with the place I have now. I'd miss eggs. But I'd have butter and cheese!
You have that all now! Lol.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AHH!!! Just one!!?!?!

It would have to depend on our situation...

When DH and I were considering living in a camper in an RV park, we had decided rabbits were perfect. Small, quiet, economical, easy, a huge amount of meat, fertilizer and fur all in just a few square feet of space. Someone told me 3 does and a buck, will produce 450lbs of meat a year! So if space was limited, rabbits would DEFINATELY be the way we'd go.

We we had endless rolling pastures, it'd probably be a cow. 3-5 gallons of milk a day, cheese, yogurt, icecream, cream year round except for the last two months before she freshens. Then of course the beefy babies for the freezer.

Now, if we were surrounded by forests, we would go with hogs. They would be turned loose to freerange and be tempted back with food scraps from the kitchen, to be shot and butchered.

Chickens, are just too predator prone. Quail don't like to lay in cold weather and need and incubator and brooder. Ducks and geese, while fun, are only good for meat and eggs. The geese good for down. Poultry just tend to be too predator prone. :/

Goats are pred prone as well. Calfs can be targetted by predators, but not to the extent as goats or sheep.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
If you could only have 1 animal on the farm---what would it be?

for me it is between having chickens and hogs.

chickens are eggs and meat

hogs are just plain darn delish!!!! I have 125 hogs on the farm for the business and as much as I hate them, and I do, I still absolutely am in love with pork. More than chicken!

Hmm.....I choose hogs. Screw the chicken.

So what is the ONE critter you would have if you could only have one?
125 pigs!?!?! AND you're in NC? hmmm... guess I know where I'm going for the next pig pickin'! I am contemplating getting a feeder pig or two in spring, do you sell hogs or just raise them?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
freemotion said:

You have that all now! Lol.
This is what I would choose if I had to choose just one type. BB, you should see my buck! Mr. Stinky is what I call him... :p Actually, you would probably get a big kick out of watching ME watch HIM. I don't remember all these behaviors in the buck we borrowed when I was a kid. However, he was confined to a stall and I tossed a doe to him then ran off to play with my horse! :lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You got your buck?! You never told me! Lol.
Did you see my big stinky lug on my journal? Lol.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Chickens!
But I am thinking milk, cheese, butter, ice cream....sound so good!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just raise them for ourselves to use. We process 1 per week and sell a few to our friend, the custom slaughterhouse. We sell whole hog sausage and chops each weekend at the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market. Do very well.

get a few hogs. they are just so easy to raise and the meat is wonderful. I am a porker..LOL..I just love pork....even though I personally don't like the hogs, I love them on the plate.;)