One Animal??

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As much as I love my chickens, if land and money weren't a consideration I'd have a milk cow. I'd breed her every year to an angus for meat and get a milking machine and learn how to make cheese. Okay, I'd have a LOT of milk cows because I eat a lot of cheese.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm....I love steak also big time and cheese.

But I love pork to the max!

WOW--WOW---I am not sure now...the cow is becoming more and more desirable.

I am so happy we don't have to limit to ONE animal......good thing this is just a goofy thread..LOL

but it does make one think about what we do desire.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if you could milk a pig?

I mean, just look at all the things people do milk, camels, goats, horses, cows, sheep, don't see why you really wouldn't be able to milk a pig. And if that was your "one" animal, you could breed them for that trait. LOL

Just a thought, now I'm off to google "milk a pig"...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
I wonder if you could milk a pig?

I mean, just look at all the things people do milk, camels, goats, horses, cows, sheep, don't see why you really wouldn't be able to milk a pig. And if that was your "one" animal, you could breed them for that trait. LOL

Just a thought, now I'm off to google "milk a pig"...
:lol:

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I googled it and it seems the only reasons they don't milk a pig, is because they have 14 teats and you only have a limited time to collect the milk. They also can't get pregnant while lactating.

They do have a higher fat content in their milk than cows though. Everything else, seems to identical. I bet if someone really put an effort into selecting pigs that milked well, the pig would be an ultimate all round animal.

My husband and I's favorite aspect about hogs, is that they can freerange and do exceedingly well at it. Obviously, with the huge impact feral hogs have in some areas.

Can you imagine it? I can. LOL :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Um, I'm going to have to say HORSE! :p Then I could taxi folks around in exchange for eggs, milk, meat and wool. He could help me plow a big ol' garden and fertilize it too.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Um, I'm going to have to say HORSE! :p Then I could taxi folks around in exchange for eggs, milk, meat and wool. He could help me plow a big ol' garden and fertilize it too.
Got that covered. ;)

Click here.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think it would be cool to have an ox. Can you milk an ox?