Our Raised Garden beds...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your garden is coming along nicely!!! Your green drive is gorgeous. Every thing here has already turned brown. I am so afraid of the heat coming this summer. :barnie

gina

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like everybody is afraid of something with their garden, heat, dry, cold, wind, bugs, volls, gophers, chickens, weeds.....

I would just like to enjoy my garden and not be so attached but here I am being jealous of all the greenness right now...and trying to forsee and prevent everypit fall I can. Spring is just barely sprung here. No planting yet.

How close did you plant your onion sets? I've never planted onions before?

Your beds look great! They will grow in time I'm sure.

If you can't afford to build all the beds you want you could start buy building some shorter and have your corner stakes tall so you could add another row of side wall in another year or when extra boards turn up to make them higher. Patricia Lanza, a lasagna gardening expert says they should be 18 inches tall but to me any bed is a good bed and many people use much shorter.

One neighbor of mine really wanted deep beds for the lasagna method but didn't have the wood or money so they dug out in the bottom. Although the bed doesn't look tall its about 16 inches deep with about 10 underground and 6 above with the board.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Mackay said:
How close did you plant your onion sets? I've never planted onions before?
I used the square foot gardening as a guide, there are 16 onions in each square foot. 4 rows of 4, they're pretty close together.

They grew SO fast, really easy I just stuck em in and add water! :gig I do water almost every day, just using a little plastic tupperware cup and my cat litter buckets filled with water. I use one bucket for all the beds - and another bucket for the fruit tree's I planted. :D I fill the buckets in the evening after filling up water for the animals, it then stands all the next day till I water again right before doing all the animal chores.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Your garden is coming along nicely!!! Your green drive is gorgeous. Every thing here has already turned brown. I am so afraid of the heat coming this summer. :barnie

gina
When we were in El Cajon I couldn't get anything to grow - I would have needed to leave the water on 24/7.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Can't say I grew it myself, I bought two of these yesterday, one Orange (for my son) one Pink (for my daughter)

They're STUNNINGLY beautiful.

Flower.jpg

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
That flower is breathtaking. What is it?
Begonia. they're so lovely!

I need to plant them out somewhere, they like a semi-shaded spot, I'm just scared they'll get eaten by something.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very nice. :thumbsup

I picked my first little tomato the other day. It ever made it in the house. :D I have so far harvested several zucchini, summer squash, about a gallon of gr. beans, tons of carrots and lettuce.

I am planting smaller areas in succession this year. Seems to be working good. Not as much to deal with all at once. Hopefully I wont loose it all in he Aug. heat.

gina