Our Raised Garden beds...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Wildsky said:
pioneergirl said:
Thats really looking good! A couple years ago I started seed inside, too. I was lucky enough to have a room on the SE corner of the house that stayed warm. I also set them over the heat vent up there, right by the window, and it really worked out. Had I been thinking I'd have done it this year but I just had too much going on. Next year ....look out!

I like your design, and would like to do it maybe out in front of the house....thanx for the inspiration!
My hubby's not going to be happy, I decided last night (lying in bed waiting to fall asleep) that the second one needs longer side posts. The square wood in the corners is 20 inches high, I want it higher so the plants in the side squares will have more room, that netting/fencing is going to get in the way.

Then I thought well why not make it high enough so I can put fencing on one side, for any veggies that need to vine up - so I'm going to look into how high it needs to be for that, I thought last night 4 feet high on one side, and 3 feet on the front side, then when I cover it for cold/snow freezing etc.. there will be a pitch to the top and it will be super strong. (not sure how much weight the hoops could hold.

Anyhoo - hubby has other things to do all week after work, so it will have to wait a little while.
Make sure that taller sides don't shade the growing area. Shade will slow the rate that the soil warms and shorten the day length for the plants. I'm in east central Ohio and have raised beds that have 12-14 inches sides. They are along the south facing wall of our barn. The one closest to the barn has a piece of hog panel attached to fence posts on the back side. Vining veggies are planted at the back half of that box and grow up the fence. Have grown peas, beans and tomatoes with this arrangement.
I just mean the posts on the corners will he taller/higher. not the whole side of solid wood. They'lll be the north side posts, although the south side ones will also be taller, I don't think they'll shade the garden much.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Here it is, its full of dirt now - I just have to put up something up for veggies to vine. and fence around it for chickens and other greedy critters.

On the YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE side, I see green in my other bed, my onions have sprouted. I used sets, and can see two green tops!

gardenbeds.jpg

For fun we put a swing up out front, hanging from a walnut tree. :D

swing-1.jpg

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Hey! Someone stole that little girls front tooth! :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
A couple of pictures of our raised beds.
Those are awesome, nice and high - it would have cost too much for us to do that.... I'll add beds each year or so - perhaps one or two higher ones for easy picking... (perhaps for a salad bed)

:gig on that darn tooth, funny she lost both front ones within days of each other, and the one new one popped right out! The other one is a slow poke apparently!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those look great! My parents just made some raised beds (6!!) and my mom was worrying over how to keep the deer and birds out... Are those just regular pipes?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Those look great! My parents just made some raised beds (6!!) and my mom was worrying over how to keep the deer and birds out... Are those just regular pipes?
Yeah 1/2 inch plumbing pipe. Held in place with 1 inch pipe pieces that are screwed (with a bracket) on the inside of the bed.

I just covered that one bed with painters plastic tarp because its raining SO much.

My onion's are doing fantastic in there, they're already an inch or so high, I think the first carrots I planted have sprouted, but its kinda hard to tell - I see some little sprouts in a bunch and I didn't plant them in a bunch - the water must have moved them.

I have also got Bok Choy and Radishes in that bed, going to plant some arugula in the corner when there is a break in the rain!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey SKR8PN, whatcha got planted in the round do-hickeys? Are those tomato cages? Would those be sufficient to keep out maurauding pets? :pop

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Skr8pn,

I have no words to describe what your entire property does to me. It's almost a sin how much I love it, how much I wish I could live with that kind of space and freedom. You have done an amazing job giving your family such a phenomenal place and way to live.