Paleo diet

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's a family thing - for some reason my brother started eating them that way and I still do. But then, I love mayo on everything. I will actually eat cold pintos with mayo for breakfast. Hubby cooks his breakfast every day - I just grab whatever - I've always hated breakfast. Oh, and cilantro makes me throw up. Can't stand the taste or smell.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Canned peas are the most wrong thing you could ever inflict upon someone. Mom would put them on salads. I would smash them against the side of the bowl so Mom couldn't tell that I wasn't eating them.
While I agree that canned peas are nasty I'd have to say that canned spinach is much worse! My mom only served canned veggies when I was a kid and that by far was the worst!

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol:
that's hilarious! i don't think i could do the paleo diet becuase basically what are "no-no"s are pretty much all i eat.... i'm a meat and potatoes kinda gal :p
but really i don't like most veggies. this year i'm growing tons so i can try different stuff. but for the most part i'm just about a carnivore... :/
but i do eat salad! lettuce, dressing, onion crunchies, boiled egg, chopped bacon, ... :drool :drool :drool
darn it! now i want a big salad and we're out of lettuce! :barnie
what about squash? i absolutely L O V E butternut squash!!! :drool :drool :drool
darn it! outta that too! :he

canned food is gross... and i don't like hot dogs or most of that anyway.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Yep, dairy is hard for most people to digest.
As for legumes, they are a protien but are very high carb, if not prepared properly they are also hard to digest.

Many of us minimize our consuption of foods that offer little nutrition and are high carb, prefering to fill up on good carbs that pack a nutritional punch...like veggies.
Unless its raw, then that rate goes way down. :cool:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My daughter's dietitian told us that it was ok to eat all types of squash. :hu In fact, we are having butternut squash tonight.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
been reading about ancient people and what i've found says that they harvested wild oats and wheat and all that. they harvested from wild sources and didnt grow it themselves. so that means they ate grains... so i'm confused... why no grains?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
been reading about ancient people and what i've found says that they harvested wild oats and wheat and all that. they harvested from wild sources and didnt grow it themselves. so that means they ate grains... so i'm confused... why no grains?
To put it very simply, the Paleo premise, is that this is the diet of cavemen who were not farmers.
Its seems to be ignored that throughout history, man (until recent history) has always relied on foraging, and seasonal eating, when cultivation was not possible.
A very broad brush stroke was used, wiping out common sense.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
OGG, before 10,000 years ago, grains were not cultivated. They were food for animals that become YOUR food. Or they were starvation rations. NOT a daily dietary staple.

Once agriculture caught on and spread, the way the food was prepared made it relatively healthy. Unfortunately, those preparation methods ARE NOT PRACTICED TODAY! So the grain you eat in your modern diet ROBS you of nutrients and make you sick over time instead of nourishing you and keeping you healthy.

Even the grains themselves are NOTHING LIKE the grains our ancestors ate. They have been manipulated, hybridized and engineered for longer storage, higher sugar content, and bigger yields. NOT for optimum human nutrition.

Now if you bought ancient grain strains (einkorn, spelt, quinoa, etc...) and prepared them by anciet traditional methods (soaking in whey, sprouting, then drying or cooking) you could easily eat these things and not worry.

But the food you are buying in the store is modern grains high in inflammatory properties, and prepared in ways that rob your body of vitamins and minerals. Just don't buy in to the spin that "whole grains are healthy" just because they are whole grains.

1) most of the whole grains advertised aren't whole grains, they are highly processed and only vaguely resemble whole grains

2) if you prepare them incorrectly, even if you have whole grains, they are more toxic substance than food