Paleo diet

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ahh.

Ok food gurus, how about nightshades ie tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant? Are they difficult for some to digest?
It depends on how sensitive you are to them. I have a friend who throws up eating any of the nightshades; I do fine on them all.

However, I have wondered about them interacting with medications. I know if I'm having a lot of wormwood, I do NOT want nightshades.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
In addition to some people having trouble digesting nightshades....they are highly inflammatory.

Folks with arthritis type issues often react to nightshades.

When my Hubby was training for a marathon last year we were careful to avoid nightshades just before or after an extra long run because it 'appeared' to contribute to his achiness.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
As for the name...I am not strictly paleo or anything else :) I am a flexitarian :lol:

There is a very informative web site called Marks Daily Apple....he calls his approach Primal...a little twist off of paleo. But I like his web site as he has a lot of scientifically backed info.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is a good site. I check it pretty often.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
As for the name...I am not strictly paleo or anything else :) I am a flexitarian :lol:

There is a very informative web site called Marks Daily Apple....he calls his approach Primal...a little twist off of paleo. But I like his web site as he has a lot of scientifically backed info.
I like that site!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
How did I MISS that site!?? I've been on it for 20 minutes now! COOL!!! Thanks for sharing it!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
I have heartburn issues with commercially canned tomatoes. Sometimes with my garden eggplants, but I'm just learning not to eat the really big ones that are too ripe. I haven't had any trouble with potatoes if of good quality. When I get enough tomatoes to can and freeze, I'll know if those give me heartburn too. Alot of this is already having my guts chewed up with other triggers. Caffeine and almost every brand of decaf but one - cheapo Aldi decaf. Tea and all that too. I've been very bad lately and am soooo sorry.

Bell peppers repeat mercilessly, but chili types not so much if at all.
MSG sensitivity? Canned tomatoes and tomatoes that are overripe both contain MSG.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
interesting... i don't understand why you cut out dairy, legumes, etc...... can someone explain why those certian things? :idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A majority of the world's population has NOT adapted to dairy. They can't digest it. Dairy is new (on an evolutionary scale) to the human diet. Many paleo people "turn back the clock" to food available BEFORE agriculture. That leaves out dairy, wheat, etc...

They also leave out "new world" foods since evolving man would not have had access to them during the paleolithic period.