Paleo diet

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok Sally...this is not us. Launched yet again into the world of the uncool.

The essentials of the Paleolithic Diet are:

Eat none of the following:

Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles

Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

Potatoes

Dairy products

Sugar

Salt

Eat the following:

Meat, chicken and fish

Eggs

Fruit

Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)

Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.

Try to increase your intake of:

Root vegetables- carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes

Organ meats- liver and kidneys (I accept that many people find these unpalatable and wont eat them)

I can't (don't want to!) go with out the beans, dairy & salt!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think it is a bit restrictive, but I do believe the thinking behind it is pretty good.

In a nutshell, if a caveman couldn't have gathered it or killed it with a rock, don't eat it :D

One of the most useful recent adaptations for humans is the ability to digest dairy. Not everyone has this ability though. If you are of northern european descent, you are most likely going to be able to eat dairy with no problem. For people who do have issues with dairy, Paleo really seems to work great.

I just haven't felt a need to turn the clock back QUITE that far. I am Irish, Norwegian, Polish and German (as far as the family can tell :D), so I am quite well adapted to dairy. I could probably LIVE on dairy! (Wow, that would be an interesting experiment...humm.... LOL)

Paleo seems to attract more guys than woman. Maybe it is the meat focus?? I do like Mark's blog. He has some pretty good articles on there from time to time.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As a vegetarian, that paleo diet doesn't really seem like a good option for me. LOL! Besides, living without cheese just isn't worth living.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WZ- I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to turn the clock back that far. While I do firmly believe in evolution and think that we co evolved with certain foods and therefore should eat them, I do think paleo takes it a bit too far. Like the concept, but like delicious food better! Just think... no beans, no potatoes, no cheese? I'm Irish. I'm pretty sure I'd starve at family get togethers!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
living without cheese just isn't worth living
LOL

I am from Wisconsin. I think that would make a great new state motto!

Just think... no beans, no potatoes, no cheese? I'm Irish. I'm pretty sure I'd starve at family get togethers!
I am Irish mostly but I was able to give up potatoes. But give up CHEESE?!?!?! Are you CRAZY! :gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You guys are hilarious. So true: Life without cheese or chocolate is not one I would like to contemplate.

Is the guy/meat thing a stereotype? It surely holds true in my family!

And a paleo diet would change the family get-togethers to a point where they would be boycotted. It would eliminate nearly all food at the Thanksgiving dinner, for example. :)

That said, I'm pretty sure I would be a healthier person without sugar. I have tons of energy and great health, but still. I'm getting a little wrinkly and keep wondering about sugar... :hu Or maybe 35 is just a tough time when you start noticing the aging process.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ok Sally...this is not us. Launched yet again into the world of the uncool.

The essentials of the Paleolithic Diet are:

Eat none of the following:

Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles

Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

Potatoes

Dairy products

Sugar

Salt

Eat the following:

Meat, chicken and fish

Eggs

Fruit

Vegetables (especially root vegetables, but definitely not including potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Nuts, eg. walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia, almond. Do not eat peanuts (a bean) or cashews (a family of their own)

Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.

Try to increase your intake of:

Root vegetables- carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, Swedes

Organ meats- liver and kidneys (I accept that many people find these unpalatable and wont eat them)

I can't (don't want to!) go with out the beans, dairy & salt!
:gig I am curious, why no salt? Salt is made simply by evaporating sea water. I can't live without salt, butter or cheese!!! Cheese for heavens sake is my favorite thing to eat! (I'm from WI too.)

Got my hopes up, but I should have known, I've never been cool. :p

Looks like BBH is more into the movie popcorn diet!
hee hee, I would love some hot buttered popcorn right now!! :drool

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Incredible--3 current/former Wisconsinites on this thread!! All this talk of cheese makes me want to run upstairs for some of the hunk of hard Parmesan I have been slicing off of. Mmmm...

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Well, sugar DOES have an effect on collagen. It changes the structure and makes wrinkling/sagging worse. Back when I was a carboholic, I had the raised flat scaly bumps on the backs of my hands. You know...age spots! One of the welcomed but unexpected side effects of a low carb diet is those scales WENT AWAY.

Now, I am still wrinkled. At 46, that is bound to be the case, but I do appear to be deteriorating slower than many of my peers. Slower deterioration may not SOUND that fantastic, but I will take it! LOL

Here is a blog post I did on wrinkles and carbohydrates
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2007/11/low-carb-can-prevent-wrinkles.html