Paleo diet

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well, sugar DOES have an effect on collagen. It changes the structure and makes wrinkling/sagging worse. Back when I was a carboholic, I had the raised flat scaly bumps on the backs of my hands. You know...age spots! One of the welcomed but unexpected side effects of a low carb diet is those scales WENT AWAY.
That is awesome!

Now, I am still wrinkled. At 46, that is bound to be the case, but I do appear to be deteriorating slower than many of my peers. Slower deterioration may not SOUND that fantastic, but I will take it! LOL
It's all in the wording :D

Scurrying off to read it...

I'm aging about the same or slower than my peers. But, I'm aging faster than my mom. She and my grandma have this crazy smooth skin. My 77-yo grandma's skin is barely wrinkled! And she eats awful. So, my theory is that sugar (or nonhealthy food) doesn't help, but that I got my dad's crappy genetics. On him, it makes him look like the Marlboro man. On me, well, let's just say I hope the process stops.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am curious, why no salt? Salt is made simply by evaporating sea water.
I have actually debated some paleo advocates about this. I figured if Elephants could figure out how to travel in to a cave to get salt, humans must surely have gotten salt too. Look at some of the earliest trade routes where salt was as important as gold.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I started, but did not finish, a book called Salt. And, yes, it was incredibly important throughout all recorded history. In fact, it was described as an absolute physical need, along with water.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Funny about the man thing, it was my husband who approached me with the idea. I have been on the verge of low carb, but am kind of intemidated by it - picking the right carbs from the wrong carbs (I think way too much into it). But this just seems so straight forward.

edited to add that it would be very difficult for me to forgo all dairy. it does seems though that some folks do have a limited amount in their diets.

I guess I am just thinking way too much into it all, and should just cut out most carbs - except those in fruits and vegetables and cut out all sugars.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I guess I am just thinking way too much into it all, and should just cut out most carbs - except those in fruits and vegetables and cut out all sugars.

That is what some of us are doing here with good success. It is not hard, just a shift in thinking that seems for some of us to have started with the challenge of eating 12 servings of fruit & veg per day. Leaves little room for carbs! Check out my journal and scroll back a few pages and you can see what I have been eating. Also look up low carb eating you will find some good discussions on those threads.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup Dace is right.

By the way, since we have been eating 12 servings of colorful veggies per day (1/2 raw and 1/2 served cooked/steamed) my skin is looking so much better! Dace didn't you notice that too? (I think it was you.) We also only use sea salt, or even better celtic sea salt.

Lucky for me I have learned to live without sugar years and years ago. (I do cheat every once in a while but it makes me feel terrible afterwards.) Potatoes were never my favorite veggie either...sweet or white. :sick Unless of course it comes in french fry form...then all bets are off. I have to stay far away from french fried potatoes! :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes, I have a much nicer pigment to my face.....still got those dang wrinkles but I wasn't looking for magic :gig

I have always been a sugar & carb junkie, so this has been an INCREDIBLE change for me. The only sugar I have now is in my morning cup of coffee, which I am not ready to part with. 2 1/2 tsp to be exact. For an entire day, that is really good for me :ya

Once in a while I feel like I am missing out, like now with choclate covered marshmallow grahm cookies in the cookie jar (thank you Hubby :he) and the little bowl of holiday colored M&Ms......just keep crunching, just keep crunching (as sung by Dora in Finding Nemo just keep swimming just keep swimming) sometimes I sing that to myself. :rolleyes:

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dace said:

That is what some of us are doing here with good success. It is not hard, just a shift in thinking that seems for some of us to have started with the challenge of eating 12 servings of fruit & veg per day. Leaves little room for carbs! Check out my journal and scroll back a few pages and you can see what I have been eating. Also look up low carb eating you will find some good discussions on those threads.
:D I am following the same diet as Dace and BBH. Already I can tell a difference in my energy level and losing inches. It was a bit intimidating looking at 12 servings of fruits and veggies everyday..but now its just a habit.My hardest was stopping cola drinks altogether.:rolleyes: