Permaculture for when the SHTF

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have several wild edibles right in our back yard. Not sure I'd wanna eat 'em unless I could keep the chickens and dogs off, lol. But, we've got chickweed, dandelions, purslane, and plantain. I'm not real sure what to do with plantain... maybe it's more medicinal? But, we've also got tons of black berries and a southern favorite - dewberries. Not sure that'd be more than subsistence living, but that's better than nothing!

I've always been curious about Jerusalem Artichokes, but I've heard they can be invasive. However - what better type of plant to have if your hungry, right? LOL

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I've heard they are invasive too, but if you were eating them that might be a good thing. Also, people with diabetes that have a tough time with potatoes can eat them as a starch vegetable in the same way as potatoes. Plantain is edible but makes an excellent medicinal plant for skin irritations, infections.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plantain is edible, but you need to get the leaves when they are small as the veins can be tough. The seeds are edible too... you've heard of psyllium seed, right?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another thing to do if you have stored food is to NOT store it all in the same place/area. Most folks store there food (canned goods, emergency supplies, etc.) in the basement. It is best to scatter your food supply around, including putting some in any other buildings/hiding spots you may have on your property). You want to have one "expendable" and "obvious" storage area so if the government or invaders come in during a SHTF episode, they find it easily and think they got all your food and supplies....but the majority you actually have hidden.

I was reading an article a while back about the biggest mistakes people will make if there is a SHTF episode at some point, and this was one of the tips. Another, which I never thought of is to not make your house and property into a fortress, because any fortress can be breached...but to make your place look like it has already been ransacked. i.e. scatter unneeded furniture, household items, etc. outside, so it looks like the marauders have already ransacked your place.

Cool idea!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good ideas- I need to check out the shatter guard. Might not need to board windows for hurricane prep.

Last edited:

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
More great ideas. Keep em' coming.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm thinking that some sort of hedge cherries would be good. Also, a bush we call shoemake, actually a sumac plant (not the poisonous kind) has vitamin C and makes a good lemonade substitute.