Pet peeve of the day

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do everything perfect gd.

bear bait :p I have my own word for those idiot drivers in the faster passing lane going the speed limit.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I do everything perfect gd. Bless your Heart I'm sure you do!

bear bait :p I have my own word for those idiot drivers in the faster passing lane going the speed limit.
Well I do know some Highway patrolmen that will agree with you about that. My pet is the drivers that zip around me and then slow down until I am right on their 6 and then I have to decide to either zip by them. reset the cruise control, or blow my horn. I drive a junky truck so blowing the horn usually works. If I zip around them they usually will pass me again shortly and slow down again If I set the cruise control slower I get a tail of people that won't pass bit curse me for not driving faster

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
People that want to talk down to me because I'm a woman.
How do you know that is the reason they are talking down to you? I get talked down to all the time but sometimes I like to play dumb just to see the reaction when they realize that I am not the hick they took me to be.
gd, not being a woman, you're not going to understand. But, when a guy talks to you in a certain tone of voice, and calls you certain things, you know. And, there are times when I do play it dumb-like when they're trying to pick me up. I act like I don't know what they're talking about-unless they keep it up. Then, I shoot them down.
You Win! How can a man fight back against someone who plays the GENDER card? Just remember that it works both ways. Yep maybe it is because you are a woman but what if it is not for that reason maybe they think you are a bit slow...

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
People that want to talk down to me because I'm a woman.
How do you know that is the reason they are talking down to you? I get talked down to all the time but sometimes I like to play dumb just to see the reaction when they realize that I am not the hick they took me to be.
gd, not being a woman, you're not going to understand. But, when a guy talks to you in a certain tone of voice, and calls you certain things, you know. And, there are times when I do play it dumb-like when they're trying to pick me up. I act like I don't know what they're talking about-unless they keep it up. Then, I shoot them down.
You don't have to be a woman to understand. But to experience it---that's another story.

I worked with a very accomplished woman (7 languages, PhD, many papers, a bunch of kids, etc) who told me that people would hear her accent (or her husband's) and start talking slowly and loudly. And when someone finds out that my wife is studying medicine they sometimes assume that she will be a nurse. Crap like that happens all of the time. Doesn't even surprise me any more.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
FarmerChick said:
I do everything perfect gd. Bless your Heart I'm sure you do!

Well I do know some Highway patrolmen that will agree with you about that. My pet is the drivers that zip around me and then slow down until I am right on their 6 and then I have to decide to either zip by them. reset the cruise control, or blow my horn. I drive a junky truck so blowing the horn usually works. If I zip around them they usually will pass me again shortly and slow down again If I set the cruise control slower I get a tail of people that won't pass bit curse me for not driving faster
with that kind of grief, maybe ya should hang up the truck for good :D pedal power!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
gd, when you have a guy say something along the lines of, "now honey, don't you worry your pretty little head about this", or "this is too technical for you to understand", and act a certain way, you can be pretty sure it's because you're a woman, and not that you're slow. Or, they'll talk to your husband-and ignore you.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had that happen. My exhusband was a moron when it came to cars. I was rebuilding the engine of my car with the help of a friend. There were 3 possible engine types in that year of the car I had. When I went in and would tell them what part I needed. They would tell me I was confused and it was really a part for the smaller engine I needed. I asked for head gaskets for the correct engine type and twice they gave me the wrong ones. I had to either coach my husband at the time on what to ask for, or have my friend come in with me and ask for it. My friend saw how they treated me and went off on them and told them he'd never use their store again and would make sure all of his friends went elsewhere as well. We went to another auto parts store and the guys and girl there were very nice.

Kotori

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
~gd said:
You Win! How can a man fight back against someone who plays the GENDER card? Just remember that it works both ways. Yep maybe it is because you are a woman but what if it is not for that reason maybe they think you are a bit slow...
This happens to me all the time. It's hard to NOT make it into a gender issue when the person is calling you woman every sentence. "Woman, hey woman. I'm talking to you. Woman, know your place. Stupid woman, don't know what you're talking about."

Other than that one extreme example, I'm always having people pestering me about getting married, or underestimating me. "You're going to need a man to help you run that farm....You can lift those bales of hay all by yourself?" Yep I can...sometimes even two at a time...

New pet peeve of the day: people that aren't grateful for their horses. I would love to have a horse but it's not meant to be, but two of my friends might own one, or two that a cousin has cared for for *free* that they haven't seen in a few years....Or my cousin that abandoned her horse on the other side of the country.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've gotten to the age where if a guy offers to help me load hay, I don't turn him down. :lol: But then again, the only time that happens is at a local hay auction, and I'm pretty well known by the "older regulars".

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pet Peeve I despise people that can't put their big nasty wad -o- gum in the trash can. It isn't hard and if there is no can then try some scrap paper or kleenex or anything other that sticking it to the bottom of a table or spitting it in a parking lot so it can get melty in the sun and I step in the goo and :somad I better stop now before I post something really mean.