Pj homestead

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great -- on concrete pour. That's always the hardest part. Now you can frame & roof in sections if needed.

In my barn I do have footer & concrete block 3 high before the wood frame but, only the tack/feed room has a poured floor. Rest is dirt floor...where stalls are. I do have rubber mats on front 2/3, just rock covered with dirt at rear edge. Cleans well and no issues. Of course, used to be fore mini horses, now only a couple in there, now & then. Otherwise, used for goat kidding stalls, chicken hatching, etc. Have couple cleared out & set up for milking the goats. Multi uses. :D

Trust me, you will enjoy it when done -- and find many uses.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The walls for the goats barn are up. We will get the roof framed out tomorrow then start sheeting it in.
I discovered the beavers have dammed one of the culverts on my road so that will also have to be delt with tomorrow.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My only options are to see if the department of wildlife will trap and relocate or get one of the local trappers to go after it. I prefer the first option. I will clear the blockage in the morning and check the culvert again in a day or 2. I am hoping wildlife will get him moved before one of my neighbors realizes he is there and shoots him. There are 3 of us that live here fulltime but there are also a bunch of seasonal cabin owners who use our road. And of course moose season is now open so there are alot of hunters in the area.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the colvert is partially cleared and the water is running again. I broke my rake hauling stuff out I'll get another one today and try and finish clearing it

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I thought we had a tough summer..... glad things are back on track. The beaver thing will get worked out, hopefully the way you want it to.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love your attitude, PJ. Like most of us, setbacks and delays are a part of the story. You seem to just pick right back up from each setback, and you've got a lot to show for this year, setbacks, health issues, and falls included. Thanks for the pictures and updates! Even with all you've had slowing you down, you've still accomplished more than most!:clap

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So how tough was that (cement floor)? I need to do the same for my chicken coop to start fighting back on rodent problem. I have a hired man on an hourly basis but hoping it’s not tricky work.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My only options are to see if the department of wildlife will trap and relocate or get one of the local trappers to go after it. I prefer the first option. I will clear the blockage in the morning and check the culvert again in a day or 2. I am hoping wildlife will get him moved before one of my neighbors realizes he is there and shoots him. There are 3 of us that live here fulltime but there are also a bunch of seasonal cabin owners who use our road. And of course moose season is now open so there are alot of hunters in the area.

there are methods for getting them to not block culverts but i can't find the video on youtube. some guy was doing research on this kind of thing and it was interesting to see what he was doing. unfortunately i can't describe it - it was years ago now, but if you search you may find something useful there.

ok, after looking more here is one vid with some techniques that may work...

Last edited: