Potato chip cravings.. Alternatives?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is going to sound strange, but I get potato chip cravings. Not so much the chip itself, but if I have a sandwhich, I HAVE to have something crunchy like a chip. Lately I've been substituting those vegetable flavored crackers or something like that, but I would be interested to hear any suggestions.

Thinking about trying dehydrated fruit as a substitute. Like I said, it's not the taste but the habit of having something crunchy like chips or crackers after a sandwhich. :lol: Told you, it was weird.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My wife will take Pita bread and slice it like a pizza. She then splits it in half and spreads them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Majic Dust and bake them until crispy.
Cheap, easy and low in sodium for us old f a r t s with bad hearts. Also good for dipping into salsa.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Baked Parsnip chips! Love those things!

Slice parsnips very thin, spray a cookie sheet w/ something like Pam or smear with a thin layer of vegetable oil. (I use peanut oil) Place the slices on the sheet in a single layer, bake at 325 until crisp. (Better results if you flip the slices halfway through)

Yum!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess it depends on why you don't want to eat chips?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Baked Parsnip chips! Love those things!

Slice parsnips very thin, spray a cookie sheet w/ something like Pam or smear with a thin layer of vegetable oil. (I use peanut oil) Place the slices on the sheet in a single layer, bake at 325 until crisp. (Better results if you flip the slices halfway through)

Yum!
I'd give those a try! I grow parsnips and never know what to do with them all.

How about Sunchokes/ Jerusalem artichokes? Nice little tubers that have a nutty taste , definitely crunchy and healthier(if that's your concern). They don't need frying for crunch.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thin slices of jicama are yummy, too. Especially with a little salad dressing or dip, or maybe sprinkle herbs on them. Crispy crunchy!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Kohlrabi "chips" (peeled and thinly sliced, raw) sprinkled with salt...yum!! I could eat a million of 'em! They are good in dips too. Now I'm craving them!