Prepping/stocking supplies

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Texas! I'm not familiar with Keystone products but there are threads on this forum pretty well dedicated to stocking up. I'll attach a couple of links.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome, tripletfeb!

First decide why your stocking up and what you eat, storage type and space available. You can't accomplish without a reasonable plan. Is it short term, long term, emergency or....

You'll see many on here are not stocking as a "prepper" fearing world collapse but as a lifestyle in which we are sustaining our families both daily and in these days of unusual shortages. What you stock is very dependant on your current life. Like many, I garden, can produce, freeze, etc. Plus I have chickens, dairy goats...so eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, meat. So supply most of my own foods. I stock things but buy extras differently than one who doesn't say, have a garden.

@frustratedearthmother gave you some good threads to review. 😊.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hi all! My hubby and I are thinking and trying to stock up on things. But we are total newbies! Any advice on good food products to stock up on? We did see Keystone canned meat products and they looked good, thoughts?
Hi @tripletfeb ! Welcome! The best foods to stock up on are those that you already eat and that promote health for you. Think more like "deep pantry" instead of bunker. After you have a deep pantry, then you can move on to longer-term food storage if you're interested in that.

If you don't have any food storage now, then pick up a couple extra non-perishables whenever you can to add a week worth of food, then another week, etc. Balance out your pantry, if you stock 10 pounds of pasta, don't forget some sauces or sides to make a healthy meal. Surviving is underrated if you are debilitated by malnutrition (speaking from personal experience here...)

As discussed on other threads, we also need to account for changing buying patterns when people panic. 2020 gave us good lessons on what can be expected. If you bake, stock up on yeast (keep it in the freezer) because people panic buy it and the supply chain is slow to recover, for example.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I guess I should have mentioned that I do garden and can my own produce, tomatoes, beans, carrots, jams. Have been doing that my whole life, from my great grandma on down. And I do have chickens for their eggs. I do want to get into meat chickens but I can't have more than 6 chickens in my town. We do stock up on toiletries and cleaning supplies. I will look into those other threads, thanks for the links!

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Texas! I'm not familiar with Keystone products but there are threads on this forum pretty well dedicated to stocking up. I'll attach a couple of links.

The first thread you linked was started by Sumi!😥 I've been a member of BYC for many years and loved Sumi and was very sad when I found out she had passed