Pressure canner

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi folks.

In another thread, it was suggested that I get a pressure canner to start canning my homemade soups and stocks. What a great idea! However, I don't own a canner and have never canned.

What do you recommend for a pressure canner for a newbie? Is it better to start with a smaller one or a larger one? (If you have a large one, can you still use it for smaller amounts?)

I'm currently considering either a 23quart or a 16 quart Presto model from Amazon.

Do either of these seem like particularly good or bad or do you have other recommendations instead? Stuff to watch out for? Any tips for this pressure canner newbie would be appreciated. Thanks!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Best advice is to read, read, read & jump on in!
I've got the Presto 23 and I love it.
I've used it for canning, pressure & water bath and for simmering huge vats of broth. Only one chicken at a time will fit well in my biggest stock pot, I fit 3 in my presto with room to spare.

There's bunches of canning folks around, so you'll get plenty of tips. Check out the What are you canning today thread for some recipes & tips.

I would say, get an extra canning rack (it'll come with one, you need 2 to double stack pints, I didn't know that when I started), a tool set with the jar lifter, lid lifter & funnel and an extra weight (see below).
The weight on the presto 23 is only 15 pounds, so if you can at 10-11 (depends on your elevation) you will have to keep a closer eye on the dial gauge. But if you get this weight , you can set it for 5, 10 or 15. You'll still need to pay attention to it, but the sound of the weight jiggling will help you to hear when it is right.
It was recommended to me when I bought my canner and I love it.

ETA: Oh, and welcome aboard! :D

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, for the 23quart one, if I'm not doing a billion pints, can I still use it for half a billion pints? I'm more likely to do 10 pint jars at a time than 20. But if I can do either one in the 23quart, that makes more flexibility for the few times I am doing a large batch. Is that something you can do with the big one?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We have a small AND large one!!!

Seriously, one thing I would ask is how are you planning on heating it? Stove, gas burner, etc...

The smaller one I will use on the stove top, the larger one on a propane burner. Large ones on the stove, particularly with electric stoves can take forever to get up to the proper pressure.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have a Mirro matic or something like that........

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have two of the Presto 23 quart ones. You know you can put 20 pint jars in that bad boy! At one time! :)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have two of the Presto 23 quart ones. You know you can put 20 pint jars in that bad boy! At one time! :)
Yes, but can you put *10* pint jars in? I may not have 20 jars of soup to can and wouldn't want to have to *not* can it because I don't have 20 jars worth. Can it be used with less than a full load?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can put in one jar, you still have to babysit it for the same amount of time as with 20 jars, so.....But yes, you can do just one layer of jars, no problem!