Pressure canner

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used my two 23-qt Prestos on my flat top stove for almost three years without a problem (switched to gas, MUCH easier to can on because of ease of regulating the heat.)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well my canner arrives today. Of course, the Ball Book and canning kit (jar lifter, etc) arrive *tomorrow*. So I'll have the canner here for a whole day and not be able to use it! :hit I also ordered the jiggling weight for the top so I can just use that to make sure the canner stays at pressure.

I did find out that I can get a 2-pound bag of sliced apples into my dehydrator. :woot And the dehydrator heats the kitchen for me, so I get that benefit too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know I am a bit confused when you say you ordered your weight separately.

My Presto has what the call a Vent. On top fits a lille black heavy knob piece. You place it after venting the canner. It is the most important for it only starts to leak when the canner has way to much pressure. You had to order your separate? Are you sure the canner did not already have one?

Just figure that today you can read the little book that came with your canner. It's very informative. Oh and it even suggest you do a dry, uhh er wet run. Just put in water boil etc....

good luck!!

g

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
You know I am a bit confused when you say you ordered your weight separately.

My Presto has what the call a Vent. On top fits a lille black heavy knob piece. You place it after venting the canner. It is the most important for it only starts to leak when the canner has way to much pressure. You had to order your separate? Are you sure the canner did not already have one?

Just figure that today you can read the little book that came with your canner. It's very informative. Oh and it even suggest you do a dry, uhh er wet run. Just put in water boil etc....

good luck!!

g
According to the reviews at Amazon (and elsewhere), it has a dial gauge but doesn't have the jiggly weight that makes noise to let you know if it's at the right pressure for 10psi, but they recommend that you order it (it's available separately) to ensure you stay at the minimum safe pressure. (At least until I get the gauge calibrated, I'd rather have *some* way of knowing I'm not using too low of pressure.)

So it gives some extra security of mind. At least that's what the reviews all say. Here's the item - ignore the picture and just read the reviews.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It seems this is used instead of the gauge??? I know the old fashioned canners used rocker weights.

I guess the reviews explain it.

Maybe some others around here have experience with the rocker weights.

:idunno

g

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It seems this is used instead of the gauge??? I know the old fashioned canners used rocker weights.

I guess the reviews explain it.

Maybe some others around here have experience with the rocker weights.

:idunno

g
I'm not sure what the question is about the rocker gauge.

Our small cooker has one - I think there are four pressure "settings" you can use. It starts "rockin" when the appropriate pressure is reached based on your selection. The more pressure, the faster is rocks. I like because the measurement is an audio response - I don't have to leave the sink/prep area to watch over and try to read a gauge.

I can't really easily explain the mechanics, but it's a sweet little feat of engineering. We use it for small batches of stuff inside the house - the big canner is run out in the garage.

DW believes the rocker decreases the chances for too much pressure building up (but you could still blow the thing up).

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Well my canner arrives today. Of course, the Ball Book and canning kit (jar lifter, etc) arrive *tomorrow*. So I'll have the canner here for a whole day and not be able to use it! :hit I also ordered the jiggling weight for the top so I can just use that to make sure the canner stays at pressure.

I did find out that I can get a 2-pound bag of sliced apples into my dehydrator. :woot And the dehydrator heats the kitchen for me, so I get that benefit too.
Can some water (just a jar or two) to get to know the process and your canner and your stove, then you will be ready to try on real food! I did beans first, just plain black beans.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's here it's here!:weee

I'll try the "canning water" trick. See how everything works. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do some applesauce as my first "real" canning.

I may be back, with questions, after I've looked it over and tried it. Now, of course, I need to get ready to go to DS's school for the talent show so I can't stay and play with my new toy. :/

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a glass top stove, and used it (very carefully) last year with my Presto 23.

It was free for the Extension to check my pressure gauge. In some towns they have a day where they set up at a public place and you can take your gauge in. I just called and set up an appointment to have mine done. I have heard some hardware stores will do it, too.