Pressure canner

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Santa Clara county doesn't do it. They suggested Alameda county. So, until then, I'll try the rocker...

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have the County Extension Agent come to our Farmer's Market one Saturday in early spring and he will calibrate canner guages for anyone who wants to bring it in to him.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Santa Clara county doesn't do it. They suggested Alameda county. So, until then, I'll try the rocker...
Santa Clara county has come so very far from its agricultural roots, hasn't it? My uncle was an astronomer up at Lick Observatory, and my aunt told me of how beautiful the valley was in the Spring, with all the orchards blooming. Even when we first moved there, in the late 1970's, there was so much still under cultivation. Sorry, I just had a birthday, and am well into "Oh, when I was young ..." mode :rolleyes:
BTW, I am avidly following this thread. I don't pressure can, because we don't particularly like canned veggies, and we don't hunt or fish, but I'm beginning to think I may need to change my outlook. Canning stock sounds like something I might want to do; and even if we don't fish ourselves, the Pacific Northwest is famous for its salmon, which can sometimes be got reasonably.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
AnnaRaven said:
Santa Clara county has come so very far from its agricultural roots, hasn't it? My uncle was an astronomer up at Lick Observatory, and my aunt told me of how beautiful the valley was in the Spring, with all the orchards blooming. Even when we first moved there, in the late 1970's, there was so much still under cultivation. Sorry, I just had a birthday, and am well into "Oh, when I was young ..." mode :rolleyes:
BTW, I am avidly following this thread. I don't pressure can, because we don't particularly like canned veggies, and we don't hunt or fish, but I'm beginning to think I may need to change my outlook. Canning stock sounds like something I might want to do; and even if we don't fish ourselves, the Pacific Northwest is famous for its salmon, which can sometimes be got reasonably.
Sorry but I'm not from here. I'm from Minnesnowta. We actually had a vote to make hunting and fishing a right in our state constitution, in 1998!

So I grew up with my gramma making canned beef, and the family canning dill pickles every year, and the annual chicken slaughter (chickens were frozen though). Just haven't done any canning on my own other than some boiling water canned pickles back in the 90s.

Anyways, I'm hoping to hear from Alameda county. Until then, I'll use the rocker thingie.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update:
Tried out the new pressure cooker with 4 cups of water (as recommended). Learned that the rocker that comes with it does match when the gauge goes to 15, so that's a good indicator.

Also learned what settings I need to get the "lock" to work and how to tell when it's steaming and stuff like that. So yeah - that was a good lesson.

Ooh. the lock just dropped. I can open it now I think...

Now I can start to can stuff.