Pressure canner

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You can put in one jar, you still have to babysit it for the same amount of time as with 20 jars, so.....But yes, you can do just one layer of jars, no problem!
Awesome! That's great news. I've ordered it now. Yay.

Now all I have to do is figure out where to get the pint-size canning jars and lids at a reasonable price. Any suggestions for good places to get such things in Sillycon Valley? Should I hit up Walmart? or is there a better place?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For me, WalMart is the cheapest when buying full price. But here the canning supplies are seasonal. Watch out for the Golden Harvest jars. You can't fit as many in the canner, and it is frustrating when you are doing a big batch of something.

Once you get started, you can keep an eye out (and put the word out) for free jars (check craigslist often, usually farm and garden section) but you will still be buying lids.

I've gotten lids online in bulk for a good price in the past, but they are going up in price as demand goes up. I suspect most of us here now get our lids mostly on clearance, buying up the entire stock when we can. I have my friends on the lookout for lids in the fall, too, on clearance.

Some of us are planning on gradually switching over to Tattler reusable lids. To make them worth the cost, you really have to do a lot of canning, even re-use the same jars in the same year. You may get the canning bug! I got it, bad! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check your local hardware stores, walmart, dollar stores (Like family dollar, freds or dollar general, not dollar tree or everything's a dollar). Get their prices & write them down.

Then check ebay & amazon to see if you'd save buying them online. They sometimes rival our local prices and stuff like that is relatively cheap here, even not on sale. The cheaper lids (which work just as well from all reports) go for $1 a dozen regular, $.50 on end of season clearance. Jars are anywhere from 5.99 to 8.99 regular, half that on clearance. But, I'm in Mississippi, where prices are pretty darn cheap for lots of stuff. YMMV :)

Some folks have had luck at thrift stores & yard sales, but I have never found jars worth having at those places.

I did get a lot of jars from my grandmother, so see if there are any older ladies at your church or other gatherings who might have some they don't use anymore. Or that have old canned goods they'll never use. You can reuse the jars quite a long time if you care for them. Just buy new lids.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last summer I bought the Presto 23. At first it looked very intimidating, and I only used it for boiling water bath canning, but when I finally got up the courage to try pressure canning, it was not hard at all. I used the Tattler Lids. They're more expensive up front, but can be reused, so should save me $$ in the long-run. Last night I opened a jar of home-canned potatoes and made soup for supper - such a good feeling!

For jars and lids, you can try Walmart, Hardware stores, Target has them here (but more expensive). You can watch for used jars at yard sales, Craigs list, etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anna there is no turning back now. You are opening yourself up to a whole new world.

I am a canning jar addict. Yes I admit it. I have more jars than anyone, ok well maybe not PamsPride or Skr8pn, could ever use. I find most of mine on CraigsList and a few at garage sales. Put the word out in your community, church and all elderly friends. Let them know you are going to start canning. The jars will magically appear.

Do you have the Ball Book yet? It has great basic directions for everything. PickYourOwn.org is also a great reference site. The little book that comes with the caner is good as well.

Oh and the Presto, you can actually stack the pints without another rack. I have done this many times. As long as the jars are the same height no problem. You just have to stagger them.

I find myself now looking at EVERYTHING I buy at the grocery. I think hmmm I can can that. It cost less and produces a much healthier product.

I bet your dh could help you make some amazing sauces to can.

How fun for you!! Good luck.

g

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Oh and the Presto, you can actually stack the pints without another rack. I have done this many times. As long as the jars are the same height no problem. You just have to stagger them.
Thank you! Everywhere I looked said you had to have another rack.

So you stack the jars so the ones on the top are sitting on two jars on the bottom? Like a running bond in brickwork?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Check your local hardware stores, walmart, dollar stores (Like family dollar, freds or dollar general, not dollar tree or everything's a dollar). Get their prices & write them down.

Then check ebay & amazon to see if you'd save buying them online. They sometimes rival our local prices and stuff like that is relatively cheap here, even not on sale. The cheaper lids (which work just as well from all reports) go for $1 a dozen regular, $.50 on end of season clearance. Jars are anywhere from 5.99 to 8.99 regular, half that on clearance. But, I'm in Mississippi, where prices are pretty darn cheap for lots of stuff. YMMV :)

Some folks have had luck at thrift stores & yard sales, but I have never found jars worth having at those places.

I did get a lot of jars from my grandmother, so see if there are any older ladies at your church or other gatherings who might have some they don't use anymore. Or that have old canned goods they'll never use. You can reuse the jars quite a long time if you care for them. Just buy new lids.
I checked online first. The shipping costs are outrageous. So I'll be buying local.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Anna there is no turning back now. You are opening yourself up to a whole new world.

I am a canning jar addict. Yes I admit it. I have more jars than anyone, ok well maybe not PamsPride or Skr8pn, could ever use. I find most of mine on CraigsList and a few at garage sales. Put the word out in your community, church and all elderly friends. Let them know you are going to start canning. The jars will magically appear.

Do you have the Ball Book yet? It has great basic directions for everything. PickYourOwn.org is also a great reference site. The little book that comes with the caner is good as well.

I find myself now looking at EVERYTHING I buy at the grocery. I think hmmm I can can that. It cost less and produces a much healthier product.

I bet your dh could help you make some amazing sauces to can.

How fun for you!! Good luck.

g
I ordered the Ball book. I also have "Putting Food By". I already own a dehydrator so I'll be putting that to use for my extra potatoes so they don't go bad on me. I'm looking forward to the canner.

DH does not cook. But I'm a pretty fine cook myself. I already make and freeze extra sauce in single-meal portions. (Portions for an Italian would be too small to can properly.)

I just now hauled out and cleaned my dehydrator! Woot. I'm gonna dehydrate me some potatoes I got on sale.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anna, I haven't lived in the Bay Area for almost 10 years, but when I was there I found that Orchard Supply Hardware was a ood place to find just about anything! :lol:. I don't know what the prices would be like there now, but you might want to check it out if you are planning on buying new, rather than searching for used jars.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. Santa just brought me the Presto 23 for Christmas! I know I'm supposed to have the pressure gauge calibrated....haven't done it yet and it's holding me up. Where do I get this done and is there a fee?
P.S. Any vegetarians out there using a pressure canner? I'd like some ideas. ;)