Pressure canner

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So Target didn't have jars. OSH did, but 11.99 for 12 pint jars. Walmart had a dozen pint jars for 7.70, and the quarts were 10.00. That's cheaper than I can buy them online and I don't have to worry about shipping.

So what's this about "calibrating" the gauge?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Thanks for starting this thread. Santa just brought me the Presto 23 for Christmas! I know I'm supposed to have the pressure gauge calibrated....haven't done it yet and it's holding me up. Where do I get this done and is there a fee?
P.S. Any vegetarians out there using a pressure canner? I'd like some ideas. ;)
I had mine checked at the local University Extension Office.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
So Target didn't have jars. OSH did, but 11.99 for 12 pint jars. Walmart had a dozen pint jars for 7.70, and the quarts were 10.00. That's cheaper than I can buy them online and I don't have to worry about shipping.

So what's this about "calibrating" the gauge?
It'll say on the directions that come with the canner and in your canning cookbook too. Before every canning season you need to have the pressure gauge checked for accuracy. If the gauge is off and you are unaware of it, you could be canning at a lower or higher pressure than what it required causing unsafe canning conditions. You'll want to avoid that ever loving botulism. ;)

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
mrbstephens said:
Thanks for starting this thread. Santa just brought me the Presto 23 for Christmas! I know I'm supposed to have the pressure gauge calibrated....haven't done it yet and it's holding me up. Where do I get this done and is there a fee?
P.S. Any vegetarians out there using a pressure canner? I'd like some ideas. ;)
I had mine checked at the local University Extension Office.
So I guess Cornell Cooperative Extension is where I'll be going? Was there a fee?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I could not find a place to calibrate mine and it was suggested that I ship it to NH. What? The reason for calibrating was in case it was off because of shipping!

I have been canning with an uncalibrated gauge for three years now and the cats are still alive, and so are we. Whew. I do let the pressure get one or two numbers up from the recommended level, though.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't seem to find anywhere local that will check it. But online, there's apparently a weighted rocker or something you can get that rocks and lets you know when you're up to weight. So I bought that too.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay,I'm thinking of taking the plunge too but I have....duh duh duuuuuuh a glass top stove :hide

It came with the house, don't judge me.

I haven't canned a lot, well anything really, but I am thinking I need to start because of limited freezer space. I could can soups and stews and tomatoes, and sauces and such. We don't like the texture of canned vegetables though. Would it be worth me getting one of my own, like the smaller one to do pints of tomatoes and such?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd year with my Presto. I have never had my gauge checked. Opps!!! :hide

hey Lori, does any one you know have one of those turkey fryer propane grill thingys. That might be an option for your canning. I have a burner on my bbq, I have used as well. But natural gas is cheaper for me so I stay on the stove.

g

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Okay,I'm thinking of taking the plunge too but I have....duh duh duuuuuuh a glass top stove :hide

It came with the house, don't judge me.

I haven't canned a lot, well anything really, but I am thinking I need to start because of limited freezer space. I could can soups and stews and tomatoes, and sauces and such. We don't like the texture of canned vegetables though. Would it be worth me getting one of my own, like the smaller one to do pints of tomatoes and such?
The Presto claims to work on flat stovetops!