price increases again...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
----Warning! Pollyanna Alert!! ----

That's the nice thing about cheese. Yes, it is expensive, but a little bit can go a long way. That's why I spend a bit more to get the sharper cheddars, instead of mild, and can have a good flavor with less cheese.

Just was watching a you tube video last night about waxing cheese to keep it longer. Apparently the mild cheddar will age in the wax, so you have the extra flavor of "sharp" with the price of "mild". And you can buy it on sale - not that cheese, even on sale, is ever very cheap - and keep it for a long-ish time. I think I will give this a try.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I get the 5 pound blocks of cheese from Sam's Club for $10. It's not the best cheese in the world, but it works. I just add a little salt to enhance the flavor. Salt is cheap. :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Despite every garden disaster we have had (severe drought, raccoons, chickens) our garden is doing great.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I get the 5 pound blocks of cheese from Sam's Club for $10. It's not the best cheese in the world, but it works. I just add a little salt to enhance the flavor. Salt is cheap. :hu
*Snap* There's 5lbs of mozz for $10.88. To be honest, I think the last time I bought mozz, it was $8 something, but still, that's a hell of a lot better than $25! I guess my main problem with Sam's club or any other good deals, is that I look for that precious $1.99/lb. I'm SOO cheap right now that if it costs more than that, I just don't buy it. I also rarely buy anything over $5 for one package. I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with it though, because that $10.88 pack of cheese will make like five pizzas, instead of paying $5 for each pizza!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Wannabefree said:
*Snap* There's 5lbs of mozz for $10.88. To be honest, I think the last time I bought mozz, it was $8 something, but still, that's a hell of a lot better than $25! I guess my main problem with Sam's club or any other good deals, is that I look for that precious $1.99/lb. I'm SOO cheap right now that if it costs more than that, I just don't buy it. I also rarely buy anything over $5 for one package. I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with it though, because that $10.88 pack of cheese will make like five pizzas, instead of paying $5 for each pizza!
:D It makes a HUGE difference when ya eat as much cheese as we do.

They have a 10 pound chunk of Hormel ham at Sam's that's a good deal too(like $15), but I DO NOT recommend it for cold cut sandwiches, it's pretty greasy, so we slice and fry some of the grease out for hot ham and cheese or fake canadian bacon for pizzas.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Wannabefree said:
1 lb mozzerrella per pizza? How big are your pizzas? Things are different here, but that is only because DH doesn't eat cheese at all, so the pizzas are smaller - one for him, one for me; extra sauce for him, extra onions for me. Not at all traditional, but I quite like bits of cream cheese (or yogurt cheese) that have been marinated in herbed olive oil, scattered over my pizza. And lots of caramelized onions. No tomatoes for me though; not terribly fond of cooked tomatoes.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dairy an chicken are going up...

beef seems to be down a little/holding steady but as WBF said, its because feeds going to go up and beef farmers are getting ri of stock NOW before they find themselve bankcurpt trying to feed them up more...so next year...OUCH on beef...

grains of all kinds seem to be on the rise...and nuts...in general, the prices for nuts are crazier than usual...(i need to grow cashews somehow...)
and gas of course is heading right back up...fun fun...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bettacreek said:
Wannabefree said:
1 lb mozzerrella per pizza? How big are your pizzas? Things are different here, but that is only because DH doesn't eat cheese at all, so the pizzas are smaller - one for him, one for me; extra sauce for him, extra onions for me. Not at all traditional, but I quite like bits of cream cheese (or yogurt cheese) that have been marinated in herbed olive oil, scattered over my pizza. And lots of caramelized onions. No tomatoes for me though; not terribly fond of cooked tomatoes.
I used to use about 5lbs of mozz on a cookie sheet sized pizza. I LOVE my cheese. How much cheese do other people use? I'm also a fan of extra sauce... And I like my goodies all UNDER the cheese instead of on top of it.

WBF, canadian bacon?! I wonder if it'd work well with eggs benedict? I've been on an eggs benedict kick for about a month now, and still haven't made it... Too cheap to buy canadian bacon and too lazy to attempt making english muffins without that canadian bacon!

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
iam with u all, seen same stuff here in ohio, food every week slips up and up, as with gas, last week 335 this week 399 . wish i had a answer

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Betta, it is great in our ham and cheese omelets, so it should work well for eggs benedict too. So long as it is cooked/heated to get a bit of the grease/fat out, so it's not SO oily, it's useable in most anything.