price increases again...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
moolie said:
What are you seeing go up?
Yeah, I'm curious too.

Also, FarmerChick, when you wrote "I watched some of my staple purchase items just skyrocket. First it was up .20, then up .30, then up .10 and again it was up .10" - did that mean that you'd noticed price hikes ob those staples of 20%, 30%, 10%, etc? (.20, .30, .10 on the dollar?)
what triggered this one was my bread I buy. Nature's Own WhiteWheat. I paid about $1.89---then price hit of $2.29. Then I would go and it was $2.49. Then $2.69.

Now it went up to $2.89. So it ticked me off today cause I buy this all the time. And watched the prices go up and up and up. When it hit $2.69 I wasn't happy and thought it was close to $3. Now at $2.89 it is TOO darn close to $3. time to switch to cheaper bread :)

I know my normal purchases the prices are still creeping up. I grab a can of something and bam, up another .10. Anyone who shops a grocery has to be seeing these increases.

It doesn't happen overnight, the long term increases. But you know when you buy an item all the time, it was .89, then $1.19, then $1.39 and settles on $1.69 it is increasingly hard on the wallet.

everything is still going up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't shop for food at the grocery store often and I don't buy much, so I only notice the price increases on the stuff I buy...and that's enough.

I note it, thank God that I grow most of my own foods and make my own breads, don't eat much dairy and hardly ever buy meat from the store and I go about my merry way. I don't really get into alarm mode over rising prices of any kind because that is just the way of the world today as we know it.

I also notice that the increased pricing means absolutely nothing to most people...carts still heaped with absolute junk, running to and fro on nonsense trips and keeping those roads hot, still have all their little luxuries at hand like smart phones, cable or Dish TV, new cars, new clothing~still arrogant and mocking attitudes towards those who do NOT engage in frivolous purchases and lifestyles.

If these wasteful and extravagant people aren't stressin' the prices, neither shall I...I'm more prepared to weather these changes than are they and I am confident in my ability to adapt and make do in the face of a poor economy. At my house it's always a poor economy, so things don't seem much different when I view the big picture.

Buckle down..it only gets worse from here on out. :)

P.S. For those who haven't adapted towards the SS lifestyle as much as possible, now's the time to get that in gear. It gives one a sense of peace in all this uncertainty and madness going on to know that you don't have to buy a cheaper product...just start making your own~it's better and cheaper!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some things are cheaper anyways, lol. Obviously the quality we get from homegrown, if we were to purchase it, we'd be paying much, much more. Like $3.99/lb for "hormone free" and all that... The only thing is, I thought it was ILLEGAL to use hormones in chicken? Anyways, our chicken is more expensive to raise, since they've stepped up on eating, but the eggs? It costs me less than $0.60 to feed them per day, and I get about 13-15 eggs... Eggs here are almost $3/doz now!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't shop for food at the grocery store often and I don't buy much, so I only notice the price increases on the stuff I buy...and that's enough.
that is why I get so upset. I see the few things I do buy go up and up and it irks me. I bet I would faint if I tracked all that other junk in the store :)

I don't really get into alarm mode over rising prices of any kind because that is just the way of the world today as we know it. I don't go into alarm mode but it puts me into prepare more mode. Also I know how I have to handle my finances and what luxuries I can buy and still stay alive. I do like the fact it makes me financially aware and that is always good to be on top of your finances.
Yea Betta I checked eggs the other day. the 'organics' or whatever they are are in the $6-7 range. WOW. I was surprised. regular are still in the $1.99-2.19 range. I haven't priced ages in 15 years mostly :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our regulars are almost three bucks. Medium store brand eggs you can get for a little over $2. I haven't even looked at the organics or anything of that sort, because I know I'd probably die of shock. I'm sure our's are around your price, so... like ten times the price of the eggs my girls give, AND not anywhere near as good!

The one thing I like to look at once in awhile is the boxed mac and cheese. Not too long ago, it was 5/$1. Last I saw, it was on sale at 2/$1. I haven't bought any in probably five years, but I still like to look, just to shock myself, lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Whoa, eggs here can be found on sale for 88 cents. Some of ya'lls prices seem so high to me!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Whoa, eggs here can be found on sale for 88 cents. Some of ya'lls prices seem so high to me!
HOLY COW! That's insane! It's weird though, because some of our items are so much cheaper than what other people are reporting. I guess just the items that grow locally and such, that have to be "imported" in other areas. Oddly enough, you can get farm eggs here for much cheaper. $1.50-$2/doz. It's a wonder anyone even buys them at the store!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
See farm eggs here sell for more than store eggs. We have a few semi local industrial egg farms, so that may be why ours are cheaper. I do sometimes buy store eggs when they go on sale that cheap, especially in the summer when my girls slack due to the hot weather. I bought 15 dozen 3 weeks ago for 88 cents a dozen, and they are GONE! We go through some eggs! Thank God they aren't as high here!!! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
15 dozen in 3 weeks :ep

at .88 I would live on those. that price I could handle

I haven't bought Tony's ''special'' cereral in a while. Kashi Cocoa Beach. Last I paid was $3.29 about 1 year ago. I found it at Ingles where Mom shops.
It was $4.89 a box. I got 4. I told him it better last....because he wasn't seeing anymore til I put 4 in a box at Christmas for him :)
AND this is a ''small'' box of cereal. that midget size. Price per lb is crazy on this crappola.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. The only time I eat a lot of eggs is when I do pickled eggs. Then I can devour a dozen in a day no problem. Of course, you could setup a methane plant around my arse after a few days of eating pickled eggs.

Granola is crazy. I was too cheap to pay three something for a 12oz box, so I ended up going with some grape nut knock off that was two something for 16oz. Didn't taste nearly as good, but it gave my greek yogurt the crunch that I need.

Latest posts