Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Your potatoes should be great for those winter stews and roasts!

I have never tried to can potatoes, but I slice and dehydrate any that are damaged during the digging. (For some reason I seem to jam my tater fork into quite a few!) The potato slices that result are just like the ones in a prepackage box of scalloped potatoes like in the store. I use them in a similar way.

Still champing at the bit to try the pickles... but I am waiting on my cukes!

They are flowering well with just a few tiny ones, but nothing big enough to eat yet!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yesterday wasn't too busy.

I finished piecing the race car quilt top for my great nephew. I still need to add the borders, though.

I hung out a load of laundry.

Picked a few ripe tomatoes and some squash from the garden. My cauliflower didn't really head at all this year. So, I pulled the plants up and gave them to the chickens.

I harvested 5 trays of vermicompost from my worm bin. It's probably about 12 gal. by volume. That stuff is black and rich. I need to spread it out and let it dry in the sun. Then I can store it in non-airtight containers.

I've lost alot of my worm count, probably due to neglect. While harvesting, I found about 1 doz. huge grub worms. (chicken feed)

I made a yummy sweet potato pie. Well, it would have been yummy if I had remembered to put the sugar in. :barnie But, covered with enough whip cream, it was edible.

We got 2/10" of rain yesterday evening. That will really help the garden. I finally convinced DH to let me start putting our grass clipping on the garden as weed control. He thought it would get all moldy and yucky. I showed him an article in Mother Earth News where it also supplies needed nitrogen in the soil. Now, just waiting on the grass to grow . . .

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Did you know that chickens love sweet potato pie? :D

We made a sweet potato pie last week. I had two left over sweet potatoes. So I sliced and steamed them for the chickens. They loved them! And all that vitamin A makes for some really orange yolks. :drool

My dh thinks that if you have ENOUGH fresh whipped cream, you could solve the world's problems! :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My dh thinks that if you have ENOUGH fresh whipped cream, you could solve the world's problems!
I agree with him. I love good homemade whipped cream. The only reason for having pie or ice cream.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sweet potato was also one of our pet squirrels favorite things to eat. I always though that was really weird. :idunno

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yep, the chickens will get whatever's left after today.

They sure did love all the peelings last year from the ones I froze.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
After a flurry of a weekend, we had a very nice evening yesterday. I filled most of my day by taping off and painting the inside of our cargo trailer we got on Saturday. It will be used for hauling quads to the races, hauling my plants, hauling anything.

Knocked off about 4pm to get supper started. DS best friends came over around 3ish. By 4:30, another friend came over and they were all in the pool. Now, 4 teenage boys in a pool can be scary at times. Especially when you hear "watch this" or "try this". It was fun to just sit and watch them. After grilling some steaks (glad I laid out plenty to thaw), they headed up to the shop for some 4-wheeler talk. Pretty soon, we had been challenged to play horseshoes. DH and I lost 1 time by 2 points. I think we played about 6 games.

We had alot of laughs and a great time. I'm continually amazed by these young men. They are perfectly content to hang out with the "old folk". When I was 18, I'd rather have been anywhere except with my parents. DH and I have tried to give our son, and now his friends, something to do and somewhere to hang out. If you can keep a kid interested in his homelife, you can help to keep him out of trouble.

I'm looking forward to another evening just like yesterday.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Describe please, your method for freezing sweet potatoes. I have never tried that!
Very simple FF. I just bake them as if I were going to eat them. I peel the skins off and just put them into freezer containers. Then, when you're ready for a pie, casserole or other side dish, just let them thaw and add the rest of your ingredients.

Just for recipes sake, I froze them in 1 o 2 cup amounts.

I even sliced a few for fried sweet potato patties. Those I just didn't bake as long.