Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That's (Fort Leonard Wood) is close to where we went on the 4th!

It is not so very close to me, but it isn't far from Lake of the Ozarks where our lake cabin is! Hmmm!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Today I started 10 more gallons of Icicle Pickles. I wish we had a place close by so I could buy the ingredients in bulk. These are getting to be expensive.

Tonight will be the second boiling of the sugar mixture for the first two gallons. Just 2 more nights and they will be ready to seal.

Wednesday, my dad and are are going to can potatoes. This is a recipe that I found online:

Small potatoes
Salt
Hot water

Wash small potatoes and leave whole or peel and place in a clean quart jar. Put in salt and add hot tap water to about 1/2" from top. Seal and pressure cook for 40 minutes at 10 lb.

Does this sound like a good recipe and has anyone ever canned potatoes? I think these would be great with a qrt. of green beans in the winter.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Last night, I watched some of the MJ memorial service. The songs they chose to sang just reinforced (to me, anyway) what a great songwriter he was.

We had Manwiches with about a cup and a half of shredded zucchini thrown in. Josh (anti-green veggie eater) didn't even notice it. The rest of the shredded zukes went to the freezer, about 14 cups. I'll toss those into the tomato sauce when I can it.

I boiled the pickle syrup for the 3rd time. Tonight will be the last night for this run.

DH & I decided against hanging the onions. Some are as big as softballs and we thought the stems might not hold up. So, we cleaned off 2 shelves in DH's shop and spread them out on it.

We also set out 24 Brussels Sprouts "Bubbles".

This morning, I'm going to dad's to pressure can the potatoes. I ended up with 19 qts. I already have them packed in the jars with the salt. I'll add the water at his house so they won't be so heavy to carry. They sure look pretty in the jars. I hope they turn out good.

When the canning is done, I'd like to come home and get some sewing done.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a pic of a jar of the potatoes and pickels I finished up yesterday:
177_cannedpotatoes.jpg

I ended up with 9 pints of pickels and 21 quarts of potatoes. I hope they are as good as they look. :drool

BTW, did anyone watch America's Got Talent last night? It was a great show. Grandma Lee (75 yr old comedian) was hilarious. She, the chicken catcher (can't remember his name) and Lawrence (deep voiced handsome black singer) are my favorites.

I was talking to DH last night and told him that our middle bedroom closet is going to have to be converted to a canning pantry. At the moment, I have out of season coats hanging on an upper rod. My canned goods are on 2 shelves below. I'm running out of room and I still have tomatoes and peaches to go. I think I will use a huge plastic storage container to keep all the non-leather coats in above the garage. I'm afraid the leather will break down over time since it gets so hot up there in the summer. If I do that, I will have one whole wall to build shelves for canning. It will probably triple my space. That will be good. :weee

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I don't know how they taste yet, MP. I'm tempted to try them, but I want to eat the ones we are still digging.

I will let you know though. ;)

Now, as far as the pickles - :drool

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
So, just so I understand, you put raw potatoes in the jars, and the pressure canninng cooks them, so when you open them they are ready to eat?

Your jar of potatoes does look very nice. I am eager to hear the results. I may just have to try canning potatoes if yours turn out.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
So, just so I understand, you put raw potatoes in the jars, and the pressure canninng cooks them, so when you open them they are ready to eat?

Your jar of potatoes does look very nice. I am eager to hear the results. I may just have to try canning potatoes if yours turn out.
Iceblink, all you have to do is pack the taters in your jar, put in a teaspoon of salt, pour hot water over them and pressure at 10 lbs. for 40 minutes.

Some of the taters have cracked open, so I know they are cooked. All I'll have to do is just reheat them in a pot.

I'm hoping they taste good this way, because I don't have a cool, dry place to keep them otherwise.