Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Don't be jealous. I have been dinging my family to go for only ... 8 years! I am really looking forward to it.

Maybe you all can come next year! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If it were only in August! I'm flying out to Missouri Aug. 20 for my son's graduation from boot camp. I wonder where they will hold it next year......... hmmmmmmmm..... :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
The July 4th party was great!! There was something to do for everyone. The kids swam, the men pitched horseshoes and the women socialized. The weather was nice, not hot and humid as it usually is this time of year. We ate burgers and hotdogs around 7:00 and watched fireworks at 9:30.

But now, the party's over and it's time to get busy. This afternoon, I canned 8 pints of the Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie in a Jar. Since I used dried apples in place of fresh, I added water to cook them in. After filling up the jars, I had alot of liquid left over. Also probably from using frozen strawberries instead of fresh. So, this I just made into Strawberry/Rhubarb Jelly. (I just hope it sets properly.)

I boiled the pickle mixture for the first night for the Icicle Pickles. I got busy doing something else and let it boil over. It made a yucky, sticky burnt mess on my ceramic stovetop. But, I poured lemon juice on it, let it heat and with a little scrubbing, it cleaned up.

I have a 5 gal. bucketfull of new potatoes that I am going to can and 2 bushels of cukes that will be my 2nd run of Icicles Pickles. I think most of my tomatoes are going to come in at the same time, too. Canning sauce will be another job in a few days. I've also got about 100 onions that I need to bundle and hang. I think I'll dehydrate some, too.

So, it's going to be all work and no fun for the next week or two. :(

BTW, DS won his 2nd pro quad race! :celebrate

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
177_storm.jpg

:hide

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
I've also got about 100 onions that I need to bundle and hang. I think I'll dehydrate some, too.

So, it's going to be all work and no fun for the next week or two. :(

BTW, DS won his 2nd pro quad race! :celebrate
Punkin, DW and I just dug about 5 gallon of onions, but we are storing them in an old grocery cart. Do they need to be hung or do you think they'll be okay in the cart?

Congrats on the racing career!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Tallman,

I think I read somewhere that they didn't do well when weight was on them. I don't know, I may be wrong. I've just always heard that it's best to hang them in a cool, dry environment. :idunno

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
Tallman,

I think I read somewhere that they didn't do well when weight was on them. I don't know, I may be wrong. I've just always heard that it's best to hang them in a cool, dry environment. :idunno
I have dry, but as for cool, well that something else. We just might have to hang them up.

Thanks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I went to the dollar store and purchased 2 of those laundry bags. The ones with zippers that you use to wash delicate clothes. I store my onions hanging up in those. So far so good. But I only had 2 of those bags full and they are not big onions. Mine just did not do well this year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Where are you going to be? Anywhere near me?
Farm, I'll be at Ft. Leonard Wood.....I don't know exactly where that is in the state but I will look it up.