Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thank, farmerchick...Tom's ear is alot better. Your dad must be handy, too! I'm sure Nicole will like the easel that much more knowing he made it (maybe not now, but in years to come). My dad usually piddles around in his wood shop when the weather is too cold to be outside. He has made countless things, from Andy's baby crib to my dough roller, that I know I will never part with.

As for the journal ...
Monday morning went to Bible study. I was about 10 minutes late. And, I'll confess this is why. I've been to her house a couple of times before. I know where she lives, but for the life of me, it was hard for me to remember how to get there. So, took the wrong road, then took the right one and even passed it once. :barnie I can remember where places are, but it's hard for me to remember how to get there. Sometimes, I don't think I could find my way out of the same paper bag the second time. :D Anyway, found it, had a good study and did some errands while I was out.

Got back home right before lunch and made about 15 fried apple pies, hung out laundry, cleaned out 2 of the chicken coops and a few other things. I fixed the country fried steak from ya'lls suggestions and it was good. (My apoligies for not doing a search in the first place, cause ticks had posted a thread back in July.)

After supper, we decided to move the 3 Domineckers from the chicken tractor since the weather is colder at night. I climbed into this 6x8x2 tractor, cause I figured that would be the easiest way to catch them. Even in that small amount of space, chickens are harder to catch than you think. :th

Tuesday...
Made 2 loaves of pineapple/banana bread and 2 loaves of white bread. Still had apples left over so I decided to make applesauce. Ended up with 9 pints. Hung out a couple of loads of laundry.

BTW, patandchickens & morelcabin...enough with sending the cold air down already. It's too early in the year for that. :rolleyes:

Supper is going to be any easy one tonight: hotdogs and chilli.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Punkin
you sound like me....I can picture the final destination, but have to truly concentrate on the right turns to make to get there..LOL
I know!

COLD isn't it. I figure TN is sending this cold air to NC...LOL...take it back! BBrrr
I am ready for spring again!~ :D

chasing chickens is good for the waistline! :)

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love your coops! Especially the log cabin duplex! I might copy it one day. It must be nice to live around where you grew up. I'm still searching for home. Your fried apple pies sound really good. Do you have a recipe?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thanks, the cabin coop has turned out really well.

This isn't a recipe, and I don't have exact measurements, but it's the way I do fried pies.
You can use whatever type apples you want; dried, fresh cooked, canned. Cook your apples, until soft, with just a tinch of water to keep them from sticking. I add just a little cinnamon, sugar,and nutmeg. While apples are cooking, make your dough as you would for biscuits. Roll each biscuit out pretty thin. I just make mine into an oblong shape, sometimes not the prettiest, but they taste good anyway. Fill half of the biscuit from the center of the biscuit to about 1" of the edge. (I use maybe 3 tbsp. of filling) Fold top over. Press edges and roll up to close. Fry in hot oil, (butter flavor Crisco works well) until nice and brown. Flip over, fry again.

My tip: fill your pies 1 at a time so they won't set and get soggy on the bottom

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I set into cleaning. Ya know that real good cleaning that you only do every so often? I moved furniture and vaccuumed up all the little pieces of dog toys that feel through the cracks plus ALOT of dust bunnies. How does so much dust accumulate under there, anyway?

Next, I reorganized and cleaned out the pantry. Moved everything to their own "zones" (baking, snacks, canned goods) Maybe it will stay like that for a day or two :rolleyes: Although, it looks alot more empty now.

DH's birthday is Friday, yep, Hallowen baby. I'm always at a loss as to what to get him. He doesn't fish, hunt, have hobbies, buys what he wants when he wants. I think I'll just make him a card and let him take me out to dinner. :gig
Maybe a carrot cake, too. He does love those.

Today is going to be more cleaning and organizing. I'm still in the mood and that doesn't happen very often. Plus in-laws are coming Saturday. They want to see the chickens (for about 1/2 a second). The dogs need a bath so I gotta wait till it warms up a bit. They are starting to smell like corn chips :(

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An organizing day is a great idea! My husband had the kids "put away" the groceries the other day... you can guess what that looks like :/ . I think dinner and carrot cake sounds like a good birthday. It's always hard to buy for people who don't have hobbies, and don't need or want anything specific.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I need to get in that mood. I did some a few weeks ago but stalled out. I've got a few key areas that I need to tackle. I've always preferred to do my spring cleaning in the fall!
I'd go with the carrot cake too. I know exactly what you mean about dogs that smell like corn chips!!! I've never heard anyone else describe it that way!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
It's already Tues. morning. Where does time go?

Fri - DH Birthday. We had a spaghetti supper and carrot cake for dessert.

Sat - Went with his family out to eat. We had much rather cook and bring a dish, but they are go-out-to-eaters. Afterward, they came to see the chickens. They have a cute little 4 year old, who is all bouncy and jumpy. Bouncy & jumpy with chickens just do not mix. After I told her she had to be very still, I brought Stella out to let her pet. She liked that.

DH showed BIL where we collected the eggs. DH pulled out 2 eggs and BIL asked "What do you do with those?" :rolleyes: My flabergasted hubby replied, "We eat them!" He must not have recognized what they were since they weren't in cartons in the cooled section of the grocery store. :lol:

Sat. night was hay ride at Church. Made my crockpot dip and they scrapped the bottom again.:p

Sun - Supposed to race 4 wheelers, but DS did not call for race times until it was too late. So we just had a lazy Sunday.

Mon - Went to Bible study, bank, grocery store. Came home, hung out laundry, cooked, cleaned, blah, blah, blah. It was also the chickens first 10 egg day! :weee

I'm also reclaiming my kitchen. I cleaned out 2 junk drawers and 2 junk shelves and 1 junk cabinet. I can now get to my stuff without having to move 2 other things first. :ya

Today is more laundry and I'm going to make a few pie crusts to put in the freezer. Holiday baking time is coming up.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Everything is going well.

Broc. & Cauli. got a good rain yesterday. I saw a couple of small heads.

Really getting into doing all my own baking. Except for white sandwich bread - can't get it just right yet. Yesterday, I made 32 mini apple raisin bundt cakes for holiday parties. If I'm in a pinch, I can just let them thaw and drizzle a little icing on them and go.

Hubby's laptop at work went crazy. His Office Mgr.'s son fixed it, but he won't take any money for it. Both he and his wife are laid off, so I'm gonna send eggs and a basket full of homemade canned goodies. A day later, the laptop at home died, so maybe I should make it 2 basketfulls.

Gotta fix one of the chicken runs because when it rains water funnels right through it. They could use a good cleaning, too. PEE-YEW!!

The leaves are really at their peak right now. They are stunning. I'll hate to see them go, cause that means winter is just around the corner and I HATE cold weather!! :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh punkin I hear you loud and clear on chicken stink! :)
I never liked "bird" smells..LOL

stunning leaves. you are lucky. with the drought our leaves just haven't hit that great color. more dead looking, but a few trees gave some great color! Awesome though the scenery when it is at its peak!