Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Whew...what a looong day.

Started off with Becca and I hauling near 200 chicks up to the feedstore today.

Sold a few.

Packed up and left about 30 minutes before the store closed to run some errands of our own.

Picked up 4 cattle panels to use on our pasture fence. The board fence needs replaced, so we're going to go the cattle panel route with it this time.

Plus, TSC had them on sale this week! :D

We were very good! we did a quick drive by to scour the chick pens - mostly checking out the competition. Their birds looked awful! Some were wet, the meaties looked like Frankensteins, and there was just no variety! Reds, more reds, hybrids, etc.

No heritage.

Now, their prices are a bit lower than our chick prices, but we don't mind. Even at our asking price, we've got people coming in and buying 12 at a time or sometimes even more!

Today we had a repeat customer, which was cool - and she's coming back for MORE the next couple weeks! which is even cooler!

Then we get home, and the feedstore owner emailed me a chick order for a customer for next Saturday! whoot!

I'm not too worried about not selling all the chicks. Whatever we don't sell will be packed up and taken to Mt. Hope in May, and I'm sure we'll move a lot of chicks at the swap there!

The good news is, there's no longer 198 chicks in my brooder! :D There's still about 100 in there, but that's a TON better than 198!!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I forgot to tell ya'll, the feedstore owners had their 8 year old son with them at work today.

Lemme tell you - I like kids, but I was close to wanting to - nevermind.

First - you don't let your kid have run of your store. It's unprofessional, and he had no manners.

From the moment we were set up, he was glued to the chicks. He kept reaching in and grabbing the chicks and picking them up. Not only that, but when we had real customers, he was right there saying things like, "You can't buy that chick, that one's mine."

And to us he kept saying "I'm the boss, and you're either going to give me some chicks or pay me $400 for renting this back room." And this was right infront of people trying to purchase chicks from us!

I kept telling him, "It doesn't work that way, our deal is with your mom."

He kept insisting, "Nope, I'm the boss."

He even pointed to his "favorite" chick and said, "That one is $400 if anyone else wants to buy it"

I was trying to pick out the chicks for our first sale of the morning, and he kept reaching in the bin asking, "Is this one that they want?" I said, "Please don't, I'll get their chicks."

It was frustrating. Becca kept looking at me kind of funny, as I'm sure I must have had smoke coming out my ears. She handled his unruliness much better than I did.

Finally, I turned to him (while there were no customers) and I said, "_________, please stop it! Stop picking up and handling the chicks, they are not toys."

I had not raised my voice, I had not said it in a firm I'm-going-to-get-you tone that I would have used if he was mine, (but I do believe I had my teeth gritted) but it was enough to send him into pouting and crying.

I ended up going to the owner and telling her, "I'm sorry, I hurt your son's feelings and now he's crying. I just asked him to leave the chicks alone."

To which she replied, "His feelings are easily hurt."

So mom goes in to see what he's doing - and he's right back to handling the chicks!!!! :he

So mom says to him, "________, we can't be handling the peep peeps, because we don't want to make them sick."

:duc

At one point I even hissed to Becca, "Just give him a chick so he'll go away!" :hide

He wouldn't even move when we had customers - our customers were walking around him trying to see chicks and he wouldn't budge.

At one point, he even told a lady, "Don't buy Rhode Island Reds, they're mean!" (I think he might have said roosters, but regardless, we had RIR with us...pullets, not roos!)

:he

His mom finally came in and said that he could pick out 12 chicks - and it sure felt like hours before he settled on his 12! I was relieved! and his being allowed to get his own chicks did alleviate part of the problem, as we didn't see much of him after that.

On the down side, it just shows that he sorta is the boss, as he just torments everyone until he gets his way. That would never fly at my house! If any of my children ever talked to an adult the way he talked to us, or butted into someone's business like that.... :smack

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I feel for you. I would hope if one of my kids acted like that, that a kindly ADULT such as yourself would have done exactly like you did. Our society lost out big time when "respect your elders" became "give me what I want". And you see exactly why he behaves the way he does. I'm still waiting to see if "kids these days" (OK, I sound old) are going to grow up, or if we'll keep accomodating them even as adults.

I look back at some situations in which I had tried to be patient, accomodating, polite, nice (which didn't even end up making things bettter) and wonder why I ever even tolerated it. I can understand not wanting to burn any bridges, but out of curiousity, is there a point you would have said enough and packed up?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
The YardFarmers said:
I can understand not wanting to burn any bridges, but out of curiousity, is there a point you would have said enough and packed up?
Not sure how to answer this, as it's not just my decision as to when we pack up and leave. Since Becca and I are doing this together, kind of has to be a joint decision to pack up and go.

IF it was me alone, then heck yea! I would have been long gone. (No offense, Becca! I love ya, but you've got waaaaaaaaaaaay more patience for unruly children than I have!!)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We're missing church today because we have to put a new drive axle on the driver's side of the van - it's out there jacked up and has the tire off already...just waiting to be finished...

So today's plans are:

1. Fix Van (that's first and most important)
2. Clean and organize chicken barn
3. Finish little bantam pens in chicken barn
4. Move chicken feed from DH's barn/workship area to my chicken barn.
5. Send in kids' assignments to their teachers from this past week.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I do not know how common it REALLY is, but read somewhere that there is a problem with kids CLAIMING abuse by someone who is in their way, like a father who didn't want to let her daughter get a tattoo. I do understand that is extreme... but what is wrong with those teens? You can expect a social service call anyday judging by his behavior.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually thanked a cashier when we were checking out from Walmart because she told my son to stop playing with the bagging turntable. He is somewhat disobedient (especially at the end of a grocery trip) and tends to behave moreso when we are in public. He'll listen to strangers far better than me. It was awesome to hear "The Grandmother Voice" tell him to quit playing with it and listen to his mother. He touched it one more time (I told you he was rebellious) and ended up sitting (quietly) on a nearby bench until we were done. She apologized, I told her none was needed and that I think we need to go back to the days when it "took a town to raise child". Seriously, I can't believe how many people get offended when you back up what they are saying to their children.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So the only things that got done today on my "to-do" list are numbers 1 and 5. Those two were the most important, so I guess that's Ok.

Small tale - or is that tail - that I left out of yesterday's events.

When Becca and I got to the checkout at TSC, there was a lady with a 3 month old litter of five puppies. She said they were German Shephard, Australian Shephard, and Beagle mixed, but I suspect they might have had a bit of Great Pyr or Poodle in them.

Anyhoo...I checked out my cattle panels and feed, and Becca remembered she wanted more twist ties. So she ran back to get her twist ties - and I plopped on the floor to play with the puppies while I waited for her.

One little cream colored female had been snuggled in the lady's lap nearly the whole time I was in the check out. Then she crawled onto the blanket for a nap. I patted her pretty little head, and she looked up and kissed me.

I was a goner!

I pulled her on my lap and talked to her, and oh she was sooo sweet! I said I just knew she'd love to come home with me and run around on my 9 acres - except that my husband would not be pleased with me.

At this point, Becca got up to the checkout and I hear this stern, "Put the puppy down!"

Of course I ignored her, and she again said, "Put the puppy down!"

The lady who was there gave me her business card and said if I should change my mind about taking the puppy to call her. We talked for a few more minutes - I'm still holding the puppy, who's snuggled up against me. Becca's now completed the check out and is standing next to where I'm sitting.

She asks the lady, "Are you going to support and stand by her through divorce proceedings?"

I laughed and said, "Yea, my husband would not be happy if I brought a puppy home."

We talked for a few more minutes, and I don't know what came over me, but I suddenly said, "I'm taking her."
Becca, I must say, was very surprised and said, "What? Serious? E's NOT going to be happy!"

The lady OTH was elated, but said if E was really super angry or cranky about it to call her and she'd take the puppy back.

We called E from the TSC parking lot - who at first said no you're not! then chuckled and said, "Whatever, but she's YOUR dog!"

So, I want ya'll to meet Sandy!

Sandy.jpg

She's super sweet, seems to be paper trained, tho she has been going to the door all day and whining to be let out. She was born with a stubbed tail - which I thought was really cute and endearing! In fact, all of the puppies were born with just stub tails except one. It's definitely not a docked tail, because there's no hairless scar on the end like my yorkie had.

She followed me all around the barn yard today, and was such a good girl! Didn't chase any animals, and waited outside the coop door for me when i went in.

I got her a pink collar, and I'm thinking of tying her to me like I've read others on her have done until she is fully trained the way I want her to be.