Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry. No snake food.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you selling as pets, breeding stock or for slaughter?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whatever the buyer wants to do with them. Ive advertised as meat rabbits, rabbits for sale, purebred NZ. Worked earlier this year but not so much now.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have plenty of other meat but this is the first time I had rabbit. The last 2 or 3 litters sold like hotcakes. Not sure what happened this time.
Maybe I should move next to @B&B Happy Goats. She seems to have the magic touch on selling livestock. 🦅🐰🐓🐇🐑

saturated local market and people won't buy meat for high prices are my guesses. good luck! :)

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No more kits from anybody. BW still hasnt had any so thinking she didnt take even though the buck had several fall offs.
So out of 3 does, only have 5 kits. :(

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just checked the kits when I got home and found that the kit I took from Eve now has missing ears. Im pretty sure it had ears when I took it from Eve and gave it to Belle. I think. The other kits had all thier ears but this one doesnt. The whole top of the back of its head is missing too.
Where the ears were it still has reddish blood spots but the back of its head is crusted over. I know rats have the tendency to do that but I would think it would be dead or just gone if that were the case. Also, the other kits would be injured, too.
If Belle did it, Im shocked. Shes always been a good mom and Ive fostered kits onto her before. This is the only white one. Shes had white kits before.
This hasnt been a great breeding season so far.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a buyer who will be picking up the NZ buck and doe Saturday. Ive already agreed to the sale so I cant go back on my word, but I realized if I sell both, of the does I have left, one is related to my red buck (daughter), and the othet is BWs daughter, who apparently may be a baby killer. BW is a great Mom, but she isnt producing alot of kits. I wont be able to breed the daughter, of course, to her dad. Some people do, but I just cant do that.
Belle will probably be winding down on her litter size if this last one is any indication.
So what do I do? Keep a black female from Belle's litter? They arent related to the red buck. I wanted to have a colony of purebred NZ rabbits, but because BW has been such a poor producer, I had decided to sell her and the buck as a breeding pair. Im not sure if Eve will be worth keeping if shes not going to produce alot and give small litters like her mother, and then be a poor mother who kills her babies ontop if that.
I had thought about asking the buyer if when she has kits if I could have a doe out of the litter since hes not getting the pedigree papers with them. Or, should I sell the bad bunny, keep a mixed bred doe. Or cancel the sale on the pair?
Im kinda attached to BW even tho shes not had big litters. Shes very sweet and loves head scratches. The idea of breeding Eve again and her possibly killing the kits isnt something I want to try again. So maybe sell her, too?

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Slowly reading through this wonderful thread but quick question.
My first litter just opened their eyes day before yesterday.
Well 4 out of 5 did. If the one still has eyes closed today, suggestions?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went and took care if the critters and saw that the wire covering with the shade clothe ontop for the chicken run has fallen down from the weight of the ice. It was about 2 ft off the ground. I closed it off so the chickens cant get under it just in case it finally collapses completely and some hens get crushed from thd weight of the ice and now its snowing. We may get up to 8" tonight
So thats going to have to get fixed when it warms up. Oh, goodie.

Here is what it looked like outside this morning. I didnt take my phone out with me to take pics of the damage but will try tomorrow.

20210215_070530.jpg

20210215_070547.jpg

And here is what we have gotten so far with more freezing rain this afternoon. With the snow ontop of this it ought to be fun going to work tomorrow.

20210215_172421.jpg

To top off the coop cover falling off, my neighbor who has his cow here came to bring another round bale over for the cows. We were going to put it in the corner of the pasture where they go to use the barn as a wind break and as he was using the tractor to put it there, he snagged the overhead wires that lead from the hotbox to the fence and tore the wires down and broke the pole that was attached to the fence. Joy. Joy.
We got it fixed immediately. Luckily, I had another 2 x 2 pole to replace the broke one.
It was an accident. It got fixed. Fun Monday.

Couldnt get into my truck to get my good gloves out so neighbors wife gave me a pair to use temporarily. Finally got into the truck a few minutes ago when I went out to see if I could even get into my car.
I got the scrapper out and cleaned the windsheild off so I could find my wipers and pulled them up so they wont keep getting covered with ice and snow.
They werent pasted to the windshield like I thought they would be and was suprised.
If we get as much snow as they are predicting, I may not even get out of the driveway. If Ibdo make it to work tomorrow, and we get alot of snow, Im wondering how many grooms I'll have because Im sure there will be alot of cancellations. Cant say I blame them.