Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well...everyone is taking the polar plunge and resting in the cooler. 🐰🐇It went much smoother today with the pellet gun. Cut the meat on the back legs on two of them. Darnit.:he Process only took me about 1 1/2 hours this time opposed to over 2 hours yesterday and that included cleanup.:celebrate
I have to go get some more ice to put in the cooler since my fridge doesnt make alot. Monday will clean up the meat more, quarter it, and vacuum seal for Camp Kenmore, or in my case Camp Hotpoint. :hide

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Be proud of yourself, you raised meat for the freezer. That will be many good meals.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20210125_102451.jpg

Well, here they are in freezer camp. Took probably about an hour cutting and vacuum sealing all 8 rabbits.
The three doe's are all settled with thier straw and two have already pulled fur even though they arent due til next Monday.
If Betty White doesnt have more than 4 this time( third litter) she's gone. Very disappointed a pedigreed rabbit is being outdone by a mix breed.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just checked the does for kits. So far Belle only has 4. Not sure if she will have more. Her last litter she had 14.
Eve had 2 kits in her box. One dead but still warm. I think she stepped on it.
Betty White has been pulling fur for a whike but no kits yet.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just checked again and still no more kits from anybody. Took Eve's single kit and gave it to Belle, who has 4, earlier this morning because I was afraid it would freeze being by itself even tho its covered with fur. It was a little cold so I felt Belle would take care if it better.
I went into town to run some errands and just checked on the kit I gave Belle and its warmed up alot. When counting everyone to see if she had any more, I found one kit I didnt see earlier, dead. So she had 5, not 4.
So that makes 2 dead kits, one each from 2 litters.
BW still hasnt produced anything so I'll keep checking. She hasnt eaten anything and is staying in her hidy hutch so maybe something soon.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No more kits from anybody. BW still hasnt had any so thinking she didnt take even though the buck had several fall offs.
So out of 3 does, only have 5 kits. :(

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just checked the kits when I got home and found that the kit I took from Eve now has missing ears. Im pretty sure it had ears when I took it from Eve and gave it to Belle. I think. The other kits had all thier ears but this one doesnt. The whole top of the back of its head is missing too.
Where the ears were it still has reddish blood spots but the back of its head is crusted over. I know rats have the tendency to do that but I would think it would be dead or just gone if that were the case. Also, the other kits would be injured, too.
If Belle did it, Im shocked. Shes always been a good mom and Ive fostered kits onto her before. This is the only white one. Shes had white kits before.
This hasnt been a great breeding season so far.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got the pedigreed NZ sold. BW and Buckaroo Bonzai are gone. Will be selling Eve, too.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a buyer who will be picking up the NZ buck and doe Saturday. Ive already agreed to the sale so I cant go back on my word, but I realized if I sell both, of the does I have left, one is related to my red buck (daughter), and the othet is BWs daughter, who apparently may be a baby killer. BW is a great Mom, but she isnt producing alot of kits. I wont be able to breed the daughter, of course, to her dad. Some people do, but I just cant do that.
Belle will probably be winding down on her litter size if this last one is any indication.
So what do I do? Keep a black female from Belle's litter? They arent related to the red buck. I wanted to have a colony of purebred NZ rabbits, but because BW has been such a poor producer, I had decided to sell her and the buck as a breeding pair. Im not sure if Eve will be worth keeping if shes not going to produce alot and give small litters like her mother, and then be a poor mother who kills her babies ontop if that.
I had thought about asking the buyer if when she has kits if I could have a doe out of the litter since hes not getting the pedigree papers with them. Or, should I sell the bad bunny, keep a mixed bred doe. Or cancel the sale on the pair?
Im kinda attached to BW even tho shes not had big litters. Shes very sweet and loves head scratches. The idea of breeding Eve again and her possibly killing the kits isnt something I want to try again. So maybe sell her, too?