Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He/She would have to live out in the barn. I don't think they would like that. :)

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Brahma hen has another chick this morning. Back up to 2 fluffy butts. 🐣🐣 Should be 3. :mad:Lets hope those nasty vermin dont get either one. 🐭 I thought maybe I should just put them in a brooder to keep them safe until she is done hatching and then give them back. But that wont guarantee they still wont be attacked or disappear. Im just worried also that at some point the hens may be attacked, too.
On another note, Leo, my red buck, is still shedding like crazy. I brought a soft bristle brush home to use on him very gently to get the loose hair off.
My white buck is still yellow. Guess he will be til he sheds it out.
One more month til maybe the does can be bred. Got to work on getting rid of those rats first.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have 2 more chicks that hatched out from the Brahma sitting on some. The black chick that hatched first died. I think it starved because the Brahma is still sitting and only leaves to eat but goes right back. Apparently taking her kid out so he/she can eat wasnt in the plan.
I took the 2 thats hatched and gave one each to 2 other broodys. I hope they will take care of them better. Thinking maybe I should just put them in the brooder.
Bunnies are enjoying cooler weather here since the humidity is down. Another month and will be breeding the 2 proven does.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I go out to take care of the animals this morning and discover an empty shell in the broody Brahmas nest but no chick. Brahma apparently left the nest for some time because the eggs were cold.
The 2 chicks I pawned off onto the other broodys were alone so I took them and put them in the brooder for safe keeping. I then took all the broody Brahmas eggs and brought them inside and put in the incubator after hearing chirping inside some. I candled the eggs and only 2 were developed. The other 8 were duds.
The JG hen I took her eggs after she also abandoned the nest after that a-bleep rooster killed her first chick. Two are pretty far along and one is showing veining so its probably two weeks out from hatching. The other two should be any day now. I hope. Since Im not sure on that Im hand turning until I hear chirping or see a pip.
Took the Californians out of thier cages and transfered them to the 3 stack cages so I can clean it out. Hasnt been cleaned in months so it needs done. Im also going to attempt putting up some 2 x 4s and attach the hanging cages to that and rearrange the area so I can hang some cages for easier access.
Doing lots of cleaning today in the barn. At least its not to hot out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've certainly had some challenges with this hatch! Glad you got some of them put in the brooder for safe-keeping. Hope the rest of the viable eggs hatch for you!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a chicklet! :celebrate

20200822_163532.jpg

I figured it would be soon. Went to run errands and when I got back, tada! 🐣🐥
The other chicklet is working on it. Should be tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

20200822_163539.jpg

Right above the X in the middle you can see the pip. :weee

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year I hatched out chicks. It just so happened that the granddaughters were here and got to watch the babies hatch out. They loved it.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got another chicklet this morning. One of the eggs the JG was sitting on that I had in a seperate incubator hatched sometime last night. I grabbed it out and put it with the other one that hatched yesterday. The one with the X on its shell is almost zipped out so it should be any time now. Once everyone is hatched and fluffy they'll go to the brooder in the barn.