Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very upset this morning. Went to feed the chickens and found one of my LH pullets with a bloody wound on her head. There was also blood on the roost pole they sleep on in front of the nest boxes. Im pretty sure what did it. I knew those nasty rats were responsible for the missing chicks but now they are attacking my adult hens.
I got new poison but they arent touching it. I dont know what to do other than get rid of my chickens. If they are attacking my hens they will go after my rabbits kits when they are born.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you tried a water trap? A big bucket with water in it, cover the water with birdseed. When they go for the birdseed they fall in and can't jump out...

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one just havent set it up yet. I did call the exterminator today to come out and see if they can be more successful than me. I found out about these ratinator traps I may try too.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Ridgetop on BYH is using both a ratinator trap and a squirrelnator or some other one for the "ground squirrels" (which I know as chipmunks) and is catching them like gangbusters... Moves to a new spot after a couple of days. Catches a bunch at a time until they get smart I guess....

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sent her a email asking where she got it. Rural King has them near me so I may go up there and get one.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Trap all you can, then use Just One Bite. I toss chunks under the house every fall or else the mice move in for the winter.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got Mr.Buckaroo Bonzai pretty much vlcombed out tonight. Still has some yellow on his fur but its getting better. Just a few spots.
Tried putting up some 2 x 4s to hang the wire rabbit cages but didnt have long wnough star screws. Making a trip into Ace tomorrow.
Sold 4 of my hens tonight. Need to downsize to around 12 to 20 hens. Feed bill to high. Will keep the older hens, of course. Selling the 11/2 year olds. Have some young pullets I hatched out that might keep but if someone wants them, fine. Got a few more roosters to get rid of but if I cant sell them its off with thier heads and freezer camp.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sold 10 more hens today. Sold 4 yesterday. Still have 32 hens from my count. Have about 8 or 9 pullets I hatched out that I can keep or still try to sell. Trying to get my feed bill down. Would really like around 20 hens. Will see who else I can part with later.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neighbor came over yesterday and helped me put up a few hanging cages. I had tried doing it myself but its hard hanging cages and holding a screw and power drill by yourself. The cages are alot sturdier than how I did it before. Now all I need to do is unscrew a bolt and unhook from the carabinors(sp) to clean them.

20200914_170507.jpg

20200914_170455.jpg

20200914_170433.jpg

I put clear plastic behind the cages to catch any accidents. Hopefully next month I can start breeding for baby bunnies. 🐰🐰

Latest posts