Reading The Signs, Awareness Around You..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually enjoy yacking way more than I enjoy working. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when younger I felt that way. don't talk to me cause I am working and busy as hell. Now, with the farm shut down, so much less work on my plate....I enjoy people again. I don't care if I 'kill' 3 hrs chatting with my neighbor. I have less anxiety on time schedules now and can blow some of the day away. I love that about my life now :p

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm kinda the opposite. I have so much time on my hands, I get surly as hell, because I have to figure out what to do to fill it up so it doesn't look like I'm sitting on my @$$ all day. XD

It's hard to be your own person, ya know? :p Paralyzed by choice, every day!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
SKR8PN said:
Some of my fondest memories, are setting on mom & dads front porch, stringin' and snappin' beans and bs'n with the neighbors.
It would be nice to have neighbors who were helpful while carrying on a conversation, instead of expecting your attention in lieu of your getting things done. . . (they always see you out working and figure you are fair game). Your example is more like how people used to get together as neighbors, which is wonderful! Seems like nowadays it is more about standing around and yacking instead of working. :p Given the choice, I am just happier at the end of the day if I get something done.
I solved that problem a couple of times. As all of you, no doubt can tell, I like to "chat" with the best of 'em. I was putting in a "automated sprinkler system" for my garden and was digging a ditch. But, I had a "neighbor" who wanted to chat and while I liked the chat, I refused to pay attention to her instead of work. You could see the dismay in her eyes when I wouldn't stop...so I handed her a tool (a shovel if I remember right) and told her to start digging while we talked. She got the message and actually did "turn to" with that shovel. Thereafter, she was a better neighbor. She stopped coming over with her mouth open and her hands "empty" !

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I like your story Icu4dzs. We have thought about doing that with family who want to visit regularly . . . neighbors would be the next step. :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i dont mind yacking only if its for a short amount of time or i have a martini in my hand then i will talk all day and have nothing to say

i would rather be away from people

i have found that people (no matter who) will talk to you only to get information about your life to either chat behind your back or use it against you later

always remember if they are talking to you about someone then they are talking to someone about you also

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
SKR8PN...i remember those days when cigs were so cheap, in those machines.Twinkies were still wrapped in wax paper and you'd get two big ones for a nickel..! You could have a ball in the candy store with a few pennies.Thats when the greenback really ruled...! Good o'le days...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I used to walk from my parent's apartment (across from Grandma & Grandpa's house) to the liquor store and buy a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Lancers wine for mom & dad. There was enough change to buy an orange push-up pop for myself. I was 4 or 5. I think they gave me a $5 bill :gig

If it is truly a fad, so beit. But in either case, a valuable skill is being revived and at least some folks will be able to use it to keep the family fed in winter.
Bingo

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around here some of the 'signs' of the times........

1. School district is holding meetings/public forums to discuss possible schedule changes & other options in order to save on expenses to their decreasing budget.

2. DH getting hours cut from 40 to 35, plus having an extra day off now & then (Co. gets less orders=less work), not to mention they have now stopped providing paid medical insurance for employees whose numbers have went from 25-30 now down to 2-3 (DH being one of those)

3. More places are for rent than for sale now since it's more difficult to buy making rental properties a hot commodity

4. (biggest for me) DH going from 'a FARM? with dirty/stinking animals? ARE YOU CRAZY?? Prepping & stocking up...whatever FOR?? We're doing just fine...You really need to stop buying so much food stuff, we have A can of coffee & don't need anymore' to now 'did you see the neighbor down the road has a pasture for rent? I wonder how much they want for it & if we can put some cows on it...You should pick up some more (insert any usable item here) on your next shopping trip. It's good to have extra' :th

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
i have found that people (no matter who) will talk to you only to get information about your life to either chat behind your back or use it against you later

always remember if they are talking to you about someone then they are talking to someone about you also
That is totally not true about people. I know I don't do that, nor do my friends. Most people have better things to talk about than you.

You must have spent your life around some truly awful people. The vast majority are not like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.