Reading The Signs, Awareness Around You..

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never saw canning jars at yard sales around my area.
No one will part with them...lol

My area, since canning supplies were always sought after, I don't see it as a "surge" at all.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canning has gotten to be sort of a fad these days- people from all walks of life perk up when I mention canning and ask me if I will teach them. I don't think it has much to do with self-sufficiency. It's about the new trend towards wanting to know where your food comes from, and buying at farmer's markets, etc. It's the New York Times Sunday supplement crowd; not people who see disaster looming.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I see that line between 'true' self sufficient wants and just wanting to be more frugal with the hard earned dollar and wanting some better food stuffs. But it stops there, these people don't want wind power to turn their butter churn, or water wheel--or don't want stinky hogs for bacon LOL

I think as the wallet tightens, what 'seems like SS' behavior is more of just a frugal behavior and a small wake up call on how foods are produced etc. It isn't crazies like me being truly more self sufficient and wanting off grid and all that mess. And in fact, I am becoming less SS as I get older now LOL--I buy alot more than I produce now.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Canning has gotten to be sort of a fad these days- people from all walks of life perk up when I mention canning and ask me if I will teach them. I don't think it has much to do with self-sufficiency. It's about the new trend towards wanting to know where your food comes from, and buying at farmer's markets, etc.
Call me cynical, but I feel like a lot (not all) of the people taking up canning these days are not even that interested in the 'knowing where your food comes from' business...

...I think a lot of it is just a fad, pure and simple. The media harps on it as the current in-style thing, so people do it. When the next fad takes its place, I predict there will be a lot of canning supplies up on ebay and at yard sales... ;)

Pat

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah Pat, I think you are right. It is clearly a fad right now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I agree too Pat.

the media is plugging tons of "preserve foods", eat better, save money, --all those types of media stories that coincide wtih hard economic times...so yes I see that.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So when do u think the sales will start:fl I think it might be a fad in the bigger areas but out in here in the sticks it is a part of our life our family has always canned not me as much but we always had our canning get together's and we all did a job and when we was done we all got some jars Now I'm doing alot more on my own

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If it IS a fad, then I should be able to scoop up some cheap ones at garage sales this Summer :D

Time to start trolling the ritzy neighborhoods where fad-minded people live....

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The canning supplies will be right there next to the exercise bike and the yoga mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.