Reading The Signs, Awareness Around You..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Just because my neighbor has a case of social diaherra, and has to be involved in every thing, doesn't mean i have to.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thank you, I needed that laugh!

See, I have this neighbor who is always out walking her dog and if she sees you outside trying to be industrious, all she wants to do is chit chat. I don't even look up at her anymore and if she is out there I will turn around and go back in the house. I just cannot deal with her, especially now that I have a baby and have about NO time to myself anymore and practically NO time to get anything done.

Ha ha . . . sorry for the vent. I just wanted to explain why I had a good laugh a minute ago.

KevsFarm said:
Ellajahboy.. i hear ya on the quiet and away from crowds. I just love peace and quiet, and time alone
Me too . . . I like me some peace and quiet and there is NOTHING better than getting something accomplished during a day. I pine for the days when I could get things done. :hit

But I suppose I should comment on the topic at hand . . . the good times lasted longer than I thought they would. For some reason, all my life I have been expecting the next great depression . . . so the good times seemed pretty deplorable, knowing what I knew about resource depletion. Back then, people used to laugh at me for "living simply so that others might simply live."

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If it IS a fad, then I should be able to scoop up some cheap ones at garage sales this Summer :D

Time to start trolling the ritzy neighborhoods where fad-minded people live....
Move over, WZ! I'm betting there are a few of us that will race you to those canning jar deals... :woot

Used to be able to get 1/2 gallon canning jars with wide mouth. Can't seem to find them now. They work GREAT for sprouts if you get those neat sprout jar tops (I love them!)

If it is truly a fad, so beit. But in either case, a valuable skill is being revived and at least some folks will be able to use it to keep the family fed in winter.

//BT//
Trim sends

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Mlynd sez..." When do the sales start" lol
My great grandma raise and canned chickens way back when. In the early 70's when there was tons of fresh caught tuna in Montauk Pt. they couldn't give the stuff away fast enough.I started canning tuna in olive oil, after brinning it in kosher salt water.People went gaga for my tuna.Then the Japanese tuna buyers showed up on the scene, and thats all she wrote..! Tuna prices got very attractive, they were overnight shipped to Japan for sushi and big dollars,,! My God, i didn't relize until now i've been canning for about 42 yrs...! Holy mackeral...! Now i can chicken, blueberries,soups and such...I sure do miss that tuna..! BTW,i read an article somewhere saying sales were up over 30% at mason ball co. since 2009. Could be a fad for some, but i know plenty who have taken up canning recently, that aren't the yuppie,trendy fad types.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Your welcome DrakeMaiden...:) Glad you got a good chuckle out of it.It's true though, you can only take so much blah,blah ,blah...! I like your last comment " Living simply so other can simply live" ...Thats a good way to be...:)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I thank goodness every day that my mother let me help her can our garden produce every fall!! I still have some of mom's jars, her water bath canner, and probably 100 of her rings I still use.

Some of my fondest memories, are setting on mom & dads front porch, stringin' and snappin' beans and bs'n with the neighbors.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nothing like the porch !! Hear you on that one.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
One more memory I would like to share with ya'all............
Back in the day......(early 60's)....my mothers father came to spend his last summer with us. He used to give me a quarter, and I'd walk the 1/4 mile or so to Greter's Lake, stick that quarter in the cigarette machine, pull the handle to buy him a pack of Salem's. There would be TWO pennies taped to the pack. I'd walk the 1/4 mile back home, and my reward was those two pennies. Man, I was sh!ttin' in tall cotton!!
The next summer, after he was gone, Mary Greter and her brother Harold, let me spend the whole summer living in one of the cabins on the other side of the lake. Harold taught me how to catch, fillet and cook a Crappie. The next summer I learned how to catch and prep, Walleye and fresh Lake Erie Perch on my dad's boat.
To this day, there is NO better meal than a fresh Crappie or a fresh Perch. cooked in a cast iron skillet over an open fire.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Some of my fondest memories, are setting on mom & dads front porch, stringin' and snappin' beans and bs'n with the neighbors.
It would be nice to have neighbors who were helpful while carrying on a conversation, instead of expecting your attention in lieu of your getting things done. . . (they always see you out working and figure you are fair game). Your example is more like how people used to get together as neighbors, which is wonderful! Seems like nowadays it is more about standing around and yacking instead of working. :p Given the choice, I am just happier at the end of the day if I get something done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts