Rebeccas journal-it ran!!!!!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
rebecca100 said:
All nine hatched! I'll try to figure out if I can get some pics with a phone. I'm really excited to see all nine babies out of the shell. I think that was the best hatch I've ever had! I looove my homemade incubator!!!! There's still some little things that need to be done, but overall it turned out good. I think I was more excited than the kids. Everytime one would zip we would all gather around to watch it hatch. Needless to say we didn't get much done today. I did a couple loads laundry between hatchings and some straightening up but that was about it. Anyway I'm exhausted and going to bed now. Too much excitement today... Yawn...
VERY nice!!! How expensive was that one to make?
It was actually kinda free. We used about 1 1/2 sheets scrap plywood from another project and an old electric heater we had laying around. One of those Patton heaters from the dollar store with a built in thermostat. The metal ones with the wire elements that are like $15 new. And I used a plexiglass boat windshield that we trimmed for the viewing glass.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aea395fb.jpg

The other pics didn't turn out very good. Here are the new babies!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops. I'm just realized how big that is and I'm not sure how to resize it. Anyway I have one out of the other group hatched and 2 pipped. Now my question is do those look like blue or golden laced wyandottes to any of y'all? I know they are supposed to be one or the other, but the friend who brought them couldn't remember which and I've never seen the parent stock. He said they were bluelaced but I saw the farm they came from offering golden laced for sale, but these are almost black with a little brown on some of their faces and blue/gray wings with lighter underbellies. The new one that just hatched though is way browner than the others.... It's out of the same stock. The place the eggs came from keeps their breeds separate and mostly raises gamefowl and not chickens. I think these are the only chickens they have if I remember right from what I was told.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Don't make me lie...I haven't a clue. They sure are cute though :)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All the wyandotte chick pics I've seen have stripes on their backs. A couple of those have very faint stripes. I was going to sell the extras, but I don't want to call them something they're not. A woman from church wanted the extras to add to her flock.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gold and silver laced tend to have the chipmonk striping...
but i belive blue laced can be stripeless. and given the breed is still relitivly new there can be quite a bit of variation in the shade and look of the chicks.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Final hatch update. Three out of the second group hatched yesterday. 2 were fully formed and never did anything and 4 died early in incubation. So out of a total of 18 chicks I got 12! Funny thing is that if I go by wing sexing all the browner chicks are going to be Roos and the blacker ones pullets. :hu I guess I'll keep them and see what turns out.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
gold and silver laced tend to have the chipmonk striping...
but i belive blue laced can be stripeless. and given the breed is still relitivly new there can be quite a bit of variation in the shade and look of the chicks.
THE BREED IS NOT new!1870's the variety [color & markings] may be. There are so many varieties that it is hard to keep track.