Recycling toilet paper tubes

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenguysmom said:
I also use them for fire starters. Here is a little twist on what we do.

Take dryer lint and throw a couple of broken crayons in the middle before rolling it up. Then stuff the crayons and lint into the tube. We then take newspaper that has been ripped at the seam and roll the tube on the diagonal. After rolling we twist the ends and stuff part of the newspaper in the ends of the roll. The twisted end is your wick and it stays tightly rolled until you are ready to use it because its all wrapped up like a tootsie-roll.

This was a great solution for us on use of broken crayons, toilette tissue rolls, dryer lint and newspaper. My mom likes to seal her firestarters with a little melted wax. I skip this step.

BTW - I am new to this site but have been on BYC for a while. What a great site.
Sounds great but what is a Tootsie roll :hu

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
chickenguysmom said:
I also use them for fire starters. Here is a little twist on what we do.

Take dryer lint and throw a couple of broken crayons in the middle before rolling it up. Then stuff the crayons and lint into the tube. We then take newspaper that has been ripped at the seam and roll the tube on the diagonal. After rolling we twist the ends and stuff part of the newspaper in the ends of the roll. The twisted end is your wick and it stays tightly rolled until you are ready to use it because its all wrapped up like a tootsie-roll.

This was a great solution for us on use of broken crayons, toilette tissue rolls, dryer lint and newspaper. My mom likes to seal her firestarters with a little melted wax. I skip this step.

BTW - I am new to this site but have been on BYC for a while. What a great site.
Sounds great but what is a Tootsie roll :hu
Hi,

A tootsie roll is a tiny cylinder of chocolate chewy candy rolled up in a rectangular piece of wax paper and twisted on the ends to "seal" it up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Oh, lovechooks, this is going to be such a good cultural experience for us, having you here! There are so many things to learn about your language and culture and so many differences, I never imagined. So very cool! :) Us Americans....I never even thought that other places may not know what a Tootsie Roll would be. I bet there will be scads of things you mention and we will be scratching our heads, going...HUH? :hu

Like waffle..... :D

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I started most of my seeds in toilet paper rolls this year. When they were ready to plant, I just opened the bottom I had folded up and planted them so the roots could grow out. It worked well with my corn.

I think I will use them to make Christmas crackers this year for my kids and nephews.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lovechooks- I have not been on here for a while due to family things. Where are you from?? I was telling DH and DGD about you not knowing what a tootsie roll was, not even considering that you were not from this country. My apologies.

Monica

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
At my former job, we used to collect the toilet paper tubes and put hard candy in them and wrap them in Christmas paper to send to Mexico where a charity our boss was associated with would give them to poor children. I'm sorry i don't know the name of the charity, but if anyone runs into it, it's a fun and cheap project and apparently a great blessing to those children.

I've started saving them lately just in case i came up with something to do with them.

I have a shelf in my bathroom that gets my empty tubes. I haven't figured out what to do with them after the shelf fills up yet, so hopefully i will implement some of these ideas. :)

I still don't understand what the cracker thing does though.

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I also use them for fake candles at Christmas a bit of construction paper and some paint and glitter and they always catch the eye...also I use them when I make dragons for the noses and eyes in paper pulp art. :)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
rowdysunsetart said:
I also use them for fake candles at Christmas a bit of construction paper and some paint and glitter and they always catch the eye...also I use them when I make dragons for the noses and eyes in paper pulp art. :)
can we see a picture of the candles?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been said, but for kids, they make some cool binoculars!

I have 31 of them tucked away in the bathroom under the cabinet awaiting to be stuffed with lint for firestarters.

I think I am going to go to the laundry mat to see what they do with their lint, b/c we cant seem to keep up!

Also, if you guys want candles to break up and stick inside, Goodwill always has a funky used candle section..pretty cheep too.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use them for candle forms. I wrap tinfoil around the bottom of the tubes then set them upright in an old metal cake pan, tie wicks to used scewers, set on top of tubes with wicks centered, melt bits of old candles, pour into tubes.