Recycling toilet paper tubes

chickenguysmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I also use them for fire starters. Here is a little twist on what we do.

Take dryer lint and throw a couple of broken crayons in the middle before rolling it up. Then stuff the crayons and lint into the tube. We then take newspaper that has been ripped at the seam and roll the tube on the diagonal. After rolling we twist the ends and stuff part of the newspaper in the ends of the roll. The twisted end is your wick and it stays tightly rolled until you are ready to use it because its all wrapped up like a tootsie-roll.

This was a great solution for us on use of broken crayons, toilette tissue rolls, dryer lint and newspaper. My mom likes to seal her firestarters with a little melted wax. I skip this step.

BTW - I am new to this site but have been on BYC for a while. What a great site.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Cool tip! For those of us w/o kids, I think I would chop up ends and bits of candles..... Perfect!

:welcome

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenguysmom said:
I also use them for fire starters. Here is a little twist on what we do.

Take dryer lint and throw a couple of broken crayons in the middle before rolling it up. Then stuff the crayons and lint into the tube. We then take newspaper that has been ripped at the seam and roll the tube on the diagonal. After rolling we twist the ends and stuff part of the newspaper in the ends of the roll. The twisted end is your wick and it stays tightly rolled until you are ready to use it because its all wrapped up like a tootsie-roll.

This was a great solution for us on use of broken crayons, toilette tissue rolls, dryer lint and newspaper. My mom likes to seal her firestarters with a little melted wax. I skip this step.

BTW - I am new to this site but have been on BYC for a while. What a great site.
Whats the crayon do again?? :hide

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The wax works like a candle and keeps the flame going long enough for the wood to ignite....hopefully!

PS: No need to hide here. We are nice when someone asks a question! ;)

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:D Thanks! And can we use these in a wood stove?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Um.....I do, but I don't know if I should be! The guy who comes to clean everything, chimney and stove, hasn't noted any problems. He is also a fireman and inspector for the fire department and he does a very thorough job with a thorough report.

Marie66

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Georgiagirl said:
I cut them down the side and slip them over my clothes hangers so my pants and such dont have a crease in them.
AND make the fire starters. But I usually make 4 out of one roll by cutting the rolls, stuffing in the lint, pouring left over candle wax in it. It is perfect to start our chimena or wood stove.
That is Awesome!!! I hate those creases!! Thanks so much for the great ideas. (everyone)

Latest posts